DM4800 console automation

Lwu

Gear owned
Variety
Does anyone have experience using DM4800's built-in automation features? We have tried to use it but the results have been haphazard at best, with a very cumbersome process and inconsistent executions. Compared to the very simple rubber band type of approach found on DAWs, the DM4800's automation features appear to be archaic at best. I suppose this may be the result that DAW automation came first to us so anything less would seem inadequate in comparison. However, before giving up on automation on the DM4800, I thought I should check to see whether there are things that perhaps we have missed that would make the DM4800 automation work better. The coverage on the topic in the user manual is less than comprehensive, especially for anyone new to the topic.

Does anyone have some good advice on this topic?

Thanks!

DM's automation is quite nice for a console automation. But compared to DAW automation, it really is horrible.

But wait ... there's more: You can use your DAW's MIDI track(s) to control some parameters of your DM. This includes at least FADERs PANs and MUTEs.

Just record your fader and other movements to your DAW's MIDI track connected to DM's USB MIDI port #4. Now you can edit these inside your DAW like any other MIDI control change data.

Jarno said:
DM's automation is quite nice for a console automation. But compared to DAW automation, it really is horrible.

But wait ... there's more: You can use your DAW's MIDI track(s) to control some parameters of your DM. This includes at least FADERs PANs and MUTEs.

Just record your fader and other movements to your DAW's MIDI track connected to DM's USB MIDI port #4. Now you can edit these inside your DAW like any other MIDI control change data.

That's a brilliant idea!

We are using the DM with the X48 and we have not determined whether automation data from the two devices are saved in two places (CF card on DM, session files on X48 hard drive) and whether the DM will follow automation created on the X48. With the MIDI track approach, I would think the DM would follow automation from the X48 session. Would you know if the DM can send its automation data to the X48 via MIDI as well? I am thinking response time and general data access time on the X48 will be much quicker than the CF card on the DM, given the faster CPU and OS.

If a MIDI link can be used for bi-directional data transfer between the two devices, this should enable the two devices to behave like a standard DAW with a control surface and all automation data would be centralized in the session file. Are my assumptions correct?

Just out of curiosity, what recorder or DAW are you using your DM4800 with?

We are using the DM/X48 combo in a small studio tracking small jazz combos. Since the idiom is jazz, which is performed live with improvisation, we have virtually no overdubs and most the work we need to do in the mix relate to cleaning up spillage and adjusting levels. I hope this provides some context.

On DM's MIDI/SETUP screen you can also route mixer engine's ControlChange data (fader movements, pans, mutes) to DM's MIDI ports. This will enable those to be recorded into any MIDI sequencer. I'm not sure if you can record these into X48 or not, because I've never even seen X48.

But there is also setup screen in DM (don't remember which ... and not currently at my console), where you can assign MIDI ControlChange messages for fader movements etc. So if X48 is able to record MIDI data, there should be no reason why you couldn't use it as an automation engine for DM (instead of DM's internal one).

You did find the separate DM Automation Manual, I'm sure. I thought it went into some detail.

I like the DM's automation. It's much more flexible and easier to use that the automation in my old Yamaha 02/R.

I like the DM's automation. It's much more flexible and easier to use that the automation in my old Yamaha 02/R.

I prefer it as well though, sometimes, I use ProTools' automation in tandem with the DM. It's nice to have that choice.

CaptDan

Gravity Jim said:
Me, too, Dan... I frequently combine DAW automation with the DM's.

Indeed. I too do both. With Pro Tools, I just look at the Edit window most of the time anyway. I can assign everything from that window.

New threads

Members online