Dm4800 tdif to motu 112d 112x112 aes/ebu digital

CopyRon

From
Medford NJ
Gear owned
DM4800 X-48
Looking to buy a MOTU 112D 112x112 Thunderbolt / and was curious (hoping) that the TDIF DB25 connections on my DM4800 would plug into the AES/EBU digital DB25 on the MOTU.
This would allow Thunderbolt speed to the sound card with 24 Mic pres and every other feature of the DM4800.
Thanks

Hi there - you are on to something for sure, my studio is set up similarly to what you are thinking. In order to use the DM TDIF ports w the 112d, u have a few options.

The easiest is either to convert 112d AES to/from TDIF or 112d ADAT to/from TDIF. Plugging the AES cables directly into the TDIF ports won’t work.

48k or 96k AES to TDIF conversion is possible using (3) TASCAM IF—88AE/HR units.
48k ADAT to TDIF is possible using (3) MOTU 2408 units or (3) TASCAM TAD-1 units

There are other solutions out there as well, but those are the most common.

Thanks
Am looking into.... will a Tascam IF-AE8 also work?

Reactions: mixerizer
Yup! But 48k only. But I generally prefer 48k, it’s a lot more manageable ratio of data to sound for my workflow.

have ordered 3 used Tascam IF-AE8 will keep you posted.
Thanks again.

Nice! Don’t forget the 3 db25 aes ebu to xlr cables (I use cableup, about $20 ea on eBay), as well as 3-4 word sync cables and of course (3) TDIF cables :)

my pleasure. Happy to help w any config issues -

Reactions: CopyRon
Those are good, but to save money - I got mine thru a used sale on eBay so definitely scan for used cheaper there, especially if u have a quality money back guarantee

MUST be tascam pin out obv!

Those hosa cables look like the best deal. Also check reverb :)

OK
hooked one of the Tascam IF-AE8 from tdif from DM to AE8 used the hosa cables to connect AE8 to 112D set clock to digital 1-2 clock set to internal on 112D - digital out to digital in - digital format pro - fs convert to convert.

I can't seem to get signal from DM to 112d.

You’re close - I think u digital out to be TDIF-1 though, as u are doing bidirectional conversion.

then I have to switch clock on 112d to aes 1-2 and clock on ae8 to tdif,
but still no joy

maybe I'm not setting dm right
I have transport control of cubase and track select and faders, but time display on dm

1. Digital Sample / Word Clock (WC) Sync

Getting the right digital sample / word clock combination is a matter of trial and error. I have found that generally the 112d (or other MOTU device connected to the DM via a converter) is best as the master clock source, the Dm is set to external clock source Word (BNC from 112d WC Out to DM WC in), and the converter either is clocked to the interface or the board, either via Word Sync BNC cable in between the two, or some form of internal sync (AES 1-2, TDIF, etc.). Sometimes u can chain the sync cables using the THRU or OUT BNC jacks, sometimes u need a T adapter, other times u need a dedicated clock or clock distributor. Experimenting diligently will help u find the right solution for u.

Note you will sometimes have to power cycle the board, interface and any converters as you experiment w configurations, but once u find one that works u should be golden.

Last two must-do points: do NOT loop BNC connections between first and last devices (clock is one-way, but can be split) and ALWAYS make sure all devices are set to the same exact rate (44.1, 48, 96 etc)

Last edited:
2. MIDI Clock / MIDI Time Code (MTC)

that’s a whole different issue than Word clock - I don’t use Cubase but there is a lot of help here on the forums to get ur MTC and transport controls set up properly. Those shouldn’t have anything to do w the above issue (the 112d and IF-8AE are not connected via MIDI), except u should solve the word clock issue before troubleshooting MTC.

Last edited:
Thank for your help
Probably done enough for todat, but will address thhis during the week and next weekend.

Reactions: mixerizer
Awesome, u will make it work. Setup takes patience but then it really is set and forget (until u change something else!). The gear does what u want it to. My pleasure to help. Have fun!

Last edited:
One last thing to add, this gets more complex if u r using other formats in the card slots - if so u might have to include in your testing setting the DM up to sync to clock source via those slots as well to find the combo that works across all the devices u have communicating.

Clock source:
112d = internal
If-ae8 = word, aes 1-2 or tdif
Dm = word (and/or slots)

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.