DM4800 Transport triggering midi ??? and rice krispies

Hi Chris....just wanted to mention one more thing, before you go off downloading programs and purchasing possible cable fixes.
Seems to me your system is fine, if it works in 44......but only works intermittently in 48.
Then it would most likely be that PT is not catching the switch over. If PT is set to be at whatever rate the console is, then it must not be catching that digital switchover properly, all the time.
One thing that relates to this is your system boot up order.
If you do not boot your system and devices in the proper order.....all hell can break loose.
It took me a long time to get my order together, so that every time I fired up the system everything recognized everything else.
Since I had external devices connected digitally, that made things even more finnicky.
Also, if the system is booted up and PT is booted up in 44, and then you decided you want to switch to 48......at that point......that is usually a recipe for disaster as well. At least that is what I have found. You can't just switch sample rates on the fly.....at least I can't.
Here is my boot up order:
1 - Boot the computer first.....just the computer, not the software (PT or Logic etc)
2 - Next boot the console. This way the computer can see the console come online.
3 - Next set the console to the desired rate: 44/48/88/96.....whatever.
4 - Now fire up any external devices (if any)
5 - Now lastly, fire up the DAW software. (PT or Logic etc)

This is how my system has to be booted or it will just NOT work....at all.....!!

Let's say I have booted up at 44.....and then I decide I want to close down that project and start a new one at 48......yep, you guess it.
I will have to start by closing the project, close the DAW software, shutdown the computer then turn off the console completely. Not even a console reboot will work. Only a hard shut down.
Then I have to boot it all up again in the order mentioned above.....setting my new rate (step 3)

Sounds crazy, but only really takes a couple minutes to do.....and can save me hours of grief if I don't do the reboot......believe me, I have tried.....and it will just not work.

If I just tried to switch the console to 48 (without rebooting), and then start a new project in the DAW, then I will get popping and snapping etc......because the DAW does not pickup the switch from 44 to 48.......it remains in 44 while the console is in 48.....and that is not good.

Something worth experimenting with, and trying, I'd say.

Just an observation here, and I am by no means bashing Apple as a few forum members here seem to have no issues. But in general it seems like the Mac has fallen from grace in recent years. For decades the Mac has enjoyed the reputation of being a very stable platform for music apps however it seems that has changed. Not that Windows machines are without issue but the MS platform has really improved quite a bit during the same time frame. I read of Mac issues constantly over at the Steinberg forum where Cubase version for the Mac is having performance issues on the Maverick OS. I think it's fair to say the playing field between Mac and PC has been leveled and in saying that, what's the advantage then for paying so much for Mac hardware?

Ditto...Not to start at Mac/PC debate...

There is no doubt you have a good point here. It does certainly seem that over the last few years especially Apple has decided to switch gears and try to appeal to the masses, instead of the professionals. That is plain to see with their 2 latest releases of Final Cut X and Logic X......boy oh boy.....what a thrashing they got eh?
For myself, I started out as a PC Windows guy way back at Windows 3.1. I just got into it big time as 3.1 was going and Windows 95 was coming in. I stayed faithful all the way up to XP. Audio and Video.....Cubase, Nuendo, Vegas, Sound Forge..blah blah blah.....on and on.
I found that no matter what I did....eventually and inevidibly there would be a disaster. Never an issue of 'IF'.....just the issue of 'WHEN'....and as luck would usually have it....it would be at the most inopportune times......in front of clients.
One day back in 2007 I went into my local Future Shop.....and bought a MacBookPro.
I also bought Logic Express and Final Cut Express. Just to bring home and play with and experiment a bit with.
The MBP was not that expensive, as it was an open box. I think around $1,000.00.

I gotta tell you......I have never looked back.
I was doing things on this little laptop that I could NEVER do on ANY of my huge, massive ram filled, PC desktops. EVER. It blew me away.
And these PC's were not cheap or small either. I had them made for specific purposes of VIDEO and AUDIO recording......built to the specifics of the Software Manufacturer.....and they got to be expensive.

For the next several years I lived on that little Mac Book Pro....hooked a bigger monitor up to it and a keyboard and a mouse.....used it as my daily machine, my Video editor, and even took it out on remote Audio Records......unbelievable.
I still have it to this very day. 7 Years now, and still works like a dream.

Find me a PC laptop from 7 years ago that you could still edit video on, and record audio on......and feel confident about it.
Be willing to take it out on a gig, and feel good about coming home and actually have the files there....and working....:)

Soon after the MBP we added an iMac, then a Mac Pro, then another Mac Pro, then another iMac......we now have 5 Apple machines around here that are work horses and never ever let us down.....(touch wood)

Recently I purchases a Television Studio Device from Black Magic Designs. Unfortunately the H264 ecnoder I was using at the time could only run on Windows.
Back to good old Future Shop for a PC laptop. I ended up with a Toshiba...I always liked Toshiba's stuff.....loaded with Windows 8.
Within minutes I found myself banging my head against the wall.....fists against the desk......"Why can't I just get to my Desktop?"........Granted I had been away from the Windows OS for several years.....but man.....talk about frustrating.

There's a tile on the start screen labled desktop. Click that to get to it. Also, windows 8.1 will allow you to boot to and stay on your desktop at all times. The upgrade to 8.1 is free. My recording PC is still using win7 and it works great. Apple really does make a great product, I just never found the money in my pockets for the reasoning over a decent PC machine. I like to build my own anyway. Windows 9 is supposed to be more desktop friendly. Im staying on 7 'till 9 comes out.

I get what you're saying and I'm no fan of Windows 8, however PC DAW manufacturers (such as ADX and the likes) are offering stable systems configured specifically for music applications using either Windows 7 or 8 with prices that are much more competitive than the Mac. Other than loyalty or one's need to use Mac exclusive applications, what is the advantage for paying such a high premium? Speaking of old computers, I still have my 2001 IBM ThinkPad running XP that I use still to this day for browsing and it hasn't been shut off in 7 years.

Anyway, I hope with some of the suggestions made here you figure out your issue. Keep us posted.

My wife and daughter have windows 8 on their machines and I couldn't stand it until I loaded 8.1 for them. Even then, I still like 7 better. I have always been in the camp that MS OS's seem to be better when you use every other one. 95-sucked...98-good ME-sucked...XP good...Vista sucked ...Win7 good....Win8-sucks...9-hopefully good. A bit general there, but, oh well.

OK guys....well it's a holiday Monday here in Canada, so it's a perfect time to go and give all of this a try. Hopefully I will be able to get it happening and we can reach our goal of 'zero latency'.......thanx again everyone.
I'll keep you posted.

Is it Victoria Day again already? I just don't have a thing to wear...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

When we have crackling issues, generally the way I resolve it is by doing a reset of all the gear, then rebooting in this way:

1. Firstly, turn on AI (being the DM4800)
2. Computer (Mac Pro)

As we have no digital outboard gear to connect to in this studio its relatively easy to resolve without too much downtime.

If the crackling does occur at some point during the tracking part of a session: after powering down everything, i unplug the F/W cable wait a few seconds then plug back in again.

Upon startup of system (as above) and PT session all seems well again...

Its interesting to me that in your list order below you boot up the computer before the DM console (Audio Interface)...

At work here we have C|24 & HDX system, 003+ rack, couple RME 800's, MADI extreme also all with MacPro towers.. Generally to avoid all connectivity issues with any of the studio's Interfaces, we always boot the AI firstly, then the computer...

This workflow was established from a mass troubleshooting exercise, because sometimes we have found that F/W AI devices have not been recognised by the MacPro towers themselves. But always have been shown to connect successfully when you boot up the AI firstly, then the computer.

Unfortunately, i'm not sure if this is true for Windows based systems, as we are not currently running any here at work.

I'm personally running a windows system 7 for my setup thats now 3 years old, and no dramas as of yet... (touch wood) :)

Hi Chris....just wanted to mention one more thing, before you go off downloading programs and purchasing possible cable fixes.
Seems to me your system is fine, if it works in 44......but only works intermittently in 48.
Then it would most likely be that PT is not catching the switch over. If PT is set to be at whatever rate the console is, then it must not be catching that digital switchover properly, all the time.
One thing that relates to this is your system boot up order.
If you do not boot your system and devices in the proper order.....all hell can break loose.
It took me a long time to get my order together, so that every time I fired up the system everything recognized everything else.
Since I had external devices connected digitally, that made things even more finnicky.
Also, if the system is booted up and PT is booted up in 44, and then you decided you want to switch to 48......at that point......that is usually a recipe for disaster as well. At least that is what I have found. You can't just switch sample rates on the fly.....at least I can't.
Here is my boot up order:
1 - Boot the computer first.....just the computer, not the software (PT or Logic etc)
2 - Next boot the console. This way the computer can see the console come online.
3 - Next set the console to the desired rate: 44/48/88/96.....whatever.
4 - Now fire up any external devices (if any)
5 - Now lastly, fire up the DAW software. (PT or Logic etc)

This is how my system has to be booted or it will just NOT work....at all.....!!

Let's say I have booted up at 44.....and then I decide I want to close down that project and start a new one at 48......yep, you guess it.
I will have to start by closing the project, close the DAW software, shutdown the computer then turn off the console completely. Not even a console reboot will work. Only a hard shut down.
Then I have to boot it all up again in the order mentioned above.....setting my new rate (step 3)

Sounds crazy, but only really takes a couple minutes to do.....and can save me hours of grief if I don't do the reboot......believe me, I have tried.....and it will just not work.

If I just tried to switch the console to 48 (without rebooting), and then start a new project in the DAW, then I will get popping and snapping etc......because the DAW does not pickup the switch from 44 to 48.......it remains in 44 while the console is in 48.....and that is not good.

Something worth experimenting with, and trying, I'd say.

FWIW,
Mavericks on a Mac Pro is working every day here.
DM firewire is connecting with no issues.
Paying my bills.
That is why the cats are so relaxed.

Just for the record...
I'm running Mac Os 10.9.3 on a 12 core Mac Pro.
I used to be a slow adopter, but I gotta say, Apple is on the case.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.