DP-008: Have to jack up the input trim all the way

Walter Crockett

Gear owned
DP-008
And when I jack it up that high it does not sound clear.

This happens whether I am using internal mics or external mics. It happens regardless of whether the internal mics are set to low or high, or the EQ setting is on or off in the input settings.

It happens with all of the following external mics:
  • EV ND96
  • EV N/D767a
  • Audio Technica AT4040 condenser mic (which receives phantom power)
I can get more gain on my acoustic guitar through the mics, but it still doesn't sound that good.

This was all working for me six years ago. I am at a loss to figure out any user error. I have about 20 songs on the 16 gig SD.

Try recording some new material (at proper recording levels, regardless of what it sounds like while recording), save it to SD, then export it.. then move the SD over to a PC and see how it plays back in a DAW. Or just convert it to mp3 and see how that plays back in whatever player you're using.

This could help narrow it down to input or output problems.

Reactions: Walter Crockett
Have you left anything plugged into the line input? This will override the XLR mic signal.
This is only a hunch as I don't have one to test and, according to the block diagram, the line inputs do not override the internal mics which you say are also very low.

Reactions: Walter Crockett
Thank you for your help! I finally just decided to keep the trim knob at 3 o'clock, which is 3/4 of the way up and I bought some expensive headphones so the sound is fairly acceptable. I tried four different mics, including in the end an Sm58, and they all sounded more or less the same. I'm considering buying a really expensive mic just to see if it gives me more vocal clarity.

A couple of thoughts: you could try an external preamp (e.g. Triton Fethead) which I think would allow you to turn the trim down all the way on the 008 and essentially take it out the equation. The other consideration is tinkering with the volume on the back left of the unit (not the master or track volume but the overall volume). I didn't even know that control was there until a few weeks ago!

Thank you. I finally had discovered that, and felt like a real idiot. Still, the documentation might have mentioned it more clearly.

Totally agree, Walter. The instructions don't say much about the main volume control. No need to feel like an idiot at all - I was using the unit for months before I discovered it! Have you rectified your issue now?

Yes, it's working well now. I love this little machine for making demos of new songs for band members. Thank you!

Reactions: Emma Boyd
That's brilliant to hear, Walter! Bet it's even better for you to hear! Great wee machine indeed. I've been using it since the start of this year and still learning loads with everything I record.

A common problem with this tiny PHONES level control on the back of the device. I normally playback and monitor through one premixer stereo channel coming from the LINE OUT L+R. Never used the 008EX phones jack until a month ago, when I used it first portable stand alone: I spent a few hours looking for the problem of the phones level :LOL:
Since then I know where to adjust it.
BTW: The manual mentions it several times!

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.