DP-02 issue, only recording correct on first 4 tracks, next four record on top of first four

Plougper

Gear owned
Portastudio DP-02
HI,

I recently bought a Tascam DP-02 secondhand... Got it very cheap thinking, if there's an issue with it I can probably get it fixed.

Overall it seems to be working just fine, however there is an issue...

I can record perfectly well on the first four tracks. But when I try and record onto track 5, it records into track 1, when I record onto track 6 it records into track 2, same for 7to3 and 8to4.
Take track 5 as an example, the recording goes to track 1... It doesn't mean that it erases what has been already recorded on track 1, it records as an extra layer, which I have no control over in volume setting or mixing. I discovered if I press the Mute button on track 5, that recording disappears from track 1 and I only hear what was originally recorded in track 1. Hope I have explained it ok.

Can anyone please tell me if this issue can be fixed, and how to go about it. The unit was initially bought from Thomann and shipped here to Ireland.

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards
Per Ploug
Dublin - Ireland

looks like the firmware for DP-02 is still on the Tascam Site:

https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-02/download

Maybe a firmware reset might fix it????

I'm assuming you're already knowledgeable with respect to the DP-02, and the issues you are having are not related to lack of know how.

Pretty sure I know what I am doing...

Done the firmware update, done factory reset, done formatting.

I got in touch with Jo in Tascam service UK, who was extremely helpful and gave me a lot of time (he really knows his stuff!!). It wasn't a problem he had ever come across and reckons some components have been corrupted somehow (DSP and/or MPX function)... So... his verdict is, it's fooked and needs new parts... Thankfully I got it for just £40 and I am pretty sure the poor chap I got it from didn't even know there was an issue with it (been his dads and sitting under his bed for years), but it will likely cost north of £200 to fix it plus transporting it to/fro Ireland... a lot more than it probably will be worth... Sad but I am not going to loose sleep over it, it just limits me quite a bit what I can use the damn thing for ;-)

Still - if anyone out there has a magic wand or a golden suggestion, I am all ears!

or Lastmonk... You could give me yours... surely you are not using it since you have a DP24..? :)
(only joking)

Sry to hear its fooked.... And even though I have the DP 24 SD which is goregeous, that DP-02 has a channel strip for each track, midi sync, and a CD burner, so I regularly put it to work:ugeek: But good mate....

Reactions: Plougper
Oh no.... You make it sound as if it will be worth my while getting it fixed!?!

I intend to keep mine operational. Its a classic. It has a lot of sentimental value to me. And it gets the job done, as it is even more portable than my DP 24. So there are times when my DR 05 (only two tracks) is not enough, and my DP-02 fits the bill.

Well, I sent it off to Jo, who has fixed it to it's full capacity. Turned out someone spilled something in it and destroyed some vital parts. Hopefully gonna have go recording over the weekend.. looking forward to having some fun with it.
I guess this thread is at it's end. Thanks to those of you who took time and interest! Take care and make some good Tascam recordings!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to craft a post at the end that let everybody know how it turned out.

Reactions: Plougper

New threads

Members online

No members online now.