DP 24 Monitor Speakers

SandraP

From
East Lothian, Scotland
Gear owned
DP 24
Hi All
First post here, I have recently acquired a DP 24 and loving recording my uke and guitar songs on it. I would like to get some little speakers so I can play back without using the ear phones. Can anyone recommend some? Would little computers speakers be adequate or do I need something more fancy?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks! :)

Sandra

No to computer speakers. Best to get active studio monitors (self powered) which are more appropriate. Something along the lines KRK Rockit 5's would be a good start when looking.

Reactions: SandraP
How much is your budget? There are a lot of speakers in the $150 - $200 range. I like the M-Audio BX5 in the bottom of the range, Charlie's suggestion for the Rockit 5s at the top of the range, and the much-praised ADAM F5 for a bit more (they are 274USD).

Just don't buy anything from Behringer.

Thanks cmaffia and Jim, I'll check those out.

Budget isn't written in stone. To be honest I hadn't realised how expensive they would be, but I'd rather stretch to something decent than get something cheap that is so annoying it ends up in the bin. It's mostly acoustic uke, guitar and vocal I'd be recording.

Do you recommend one or two speakers? There are two outputs on the DP 24 but I see you can get adaptors for one speaker. Would you say it makes a lot of difference? Again, I don't want to skimp and end up with something unsatisfactory.

Hi Sandra,

Good suggestions above, but by all means, do get a pair of speakers. You'll get a more true image of the sound, and you can (if you wish) pan the tracks to put the guitar more to one side, the uke to the other, and a vocal in the center, creating a nice stereo range. You'll make good use of this as you progress along.

As your instruments, and vocals (if applicable) are primarily in the midrange, you won't need overly large monitors for strong bass presence, so the sets mentioned above with 5" woofers will be a perfect match for the work you're looking to do.

Have fun!

Hi guys, back with a quick update. I am now the proud owner of a pair of M-Audio BX5s and they are great. So impressed with the sound and now I don't have to listen with headphones. Thanks again for your help.

Sandra

Good call. I use a pair of their AV40s as "Awfultones," for checking mixes for TV and radio... But they just about don't sound awful enough!

Cheap components, cheap construction, hiding behind German trade laws to rip designs from legit companies. Other than that, Behringer is fine.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.