DP-24: Unable to access firware update mode

Brian Rosenau

Gear owned
DP-24 and DP-32
Greetings, I have a DP-32 (works well) and a DP-24 that was given to me somewhat dysfunctional. For some reason, the unit will not enter into the update firmware mode when holding mute with undo/redo buttons upon powering up...no matter how long I hold them down. It's as though it skips the process and goes directly into the normal operation mode. Is there a way to force the machine to totally go back to factory reset across the board? Here's hoping someone has some insight.

Welcome to the forum Brian. I don't think there's an alternative method, but maybe the buttons just need cleaning. There are various tips in this forum if you search, but a good quality cleaner such as Deoxit is reported to do the trick. Let us know if you solve the problem.

Reactions: -mjk-
You had posted your DP-24 question in the "Model 24/16/12" Digital Mixer forum. It's now been moved to the correct "2488 and DP-24/32 Portastudio" forum.

I agree with Phil's sugestion about Deoxit. If you go to the "2488 and DP-24/32 Portastudio" forum and search on Deoxit, you'll find several posts there on its use (click on the "Site Results" tab to view the hits).

"Factory Reset" does not effect firmware updates. On your DP-24 portastudio, simultaneous press of "Mute+Undo/Redo+Power On" is the only way to install firmware updates

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
While in normal mode, pressing those buttons will allow you to see if they are registering as presses.

Reactions: Mark Richards
The Deoxit D5 did the trick; I just happen to have a can sitting by my desk. I wouldn't have thought it to be a bad contact, but sure enough. Opening the unit up gave additional clues to the history. I found grass and other foreign particles inside...suggesting outdoor moisture or spills may have been introduced. Thanks to all who provided feedback...it's up and running well with the newly updated BIOS. :)

Whoa! Good thing you opened it up and took a look! Very glad to hear that the Deoxit took care of the issue.

New threads

Members online