DP-24SD and compact monitors

Voorrtex

Gear owned
DP24SD
Hello!

I am using Tascam DP24SD for my home recordings, nothing special - electric guitar with some overdrive, acoustic & bass guitar. No vocals, synth, etc. I always mixed in headphones ATH-AD500X, but recently, the result does not satisfy me.

Some time ago I came across a Tascam VL-3S monitors on the Internet and it attracted me very much with its size and price! Can you recommend it or other similar model? The most main parameter for me is !seize! (I have a little workspace) and if VL-S3 is much better than my ATH for mixing and checking final result, then it’s already suits me.

Thank you!

Reactions: -mjk-
I dunno,how much smaller are they than say Yamaha HS5s?

A 3" driver won't pump out much and 14w is a bit light on volume. I dunno,I love my HS5s and I'm in a bedroom at the moment.

Reactions: Voorrtex
I have the Yamaha HS5 but am not happy with them: little bass and a high bump at 1kHz. They may be good for mixing but aweful for mastering. In the end it's a matter of taste. I have now decided to get new monitors and it will be either the Adam T5V or the Mackie MR524.

Reactions: -mjk- and Voorrtex
Adam A5X. Great little monitors. I had a pair of T5V,s which are good monitors but for a bit extra you can get the A5X,s. A lot smaller as well

Reactions: Voorrtex
I have those Tascam monitors. They are great in the mids, but, the very highs are lacking and also of course, they cannot go down very low. You'll need another set of monitors to compare with. You may end up with mixes that are too bright on those Tascams unless you keep that firmly in mind.

@BazzBass said:
A 3" driver won't pump out much and 14w is a bit light on volume.

I can tell you that those 14 watts will drive the monitors way higher than any level you want to be mixing at.

I have the Yamaha HS5 but am not happy with them: little bass and a high bump at 1kHz. They may be good for mixing but aweful for mastering. In the end it's a matter of taste. I have now decided to get new monitors and it will be either the Adam T5V or the Mackie MR524.

Be sure to check out the iloud MTM. I am considering those for the very same reason you are.

I have those Tascam monitors. They are great in the mids, but, the very highs are lacking and also of course, they cannot go down very low. You'll need another set of monitors to compare with. You may end up with mixes that are too bright on those Tascams unless you keep that firmly in mind.

Thank you all guys! I also think about Alesis 5 & Tascam VL-5S. This is a max seize & price, that I can afford.

Thanks Eric. I don't monitor at high SPL so for my purposes the MTMs seem like a good choice.

Reactions: Eric Guicherit

New threads

Members online

No members online now.