DP-24SD or Model 12?

LRod1707

Gear owned
DP-24SD & Tascam TM-80
Hello to all, new member here!
I'm a home/hobbyist drummer and I'm looking at getting into recording my drums by setting up my mini home studio. I have zero experience in this endeavor but I'd like to start off with a decent setup in order to further learn and expand. So my 2 choices are between the DP-24SD & the Model 12. I've read as much as I can about both and see the hardware differences but dont understand the software differences internally and how they differ. That's why I'm asking those here that can help me. My goal for now is to be able to record (4 mics.) with no DAW or minimal DAW interaction. Maybe in the future I'll get into using a DAW but right now I'd like to focus on the recording vs. having a perfect mastering of the actual final product. That future usage is what peaked my interest in the model 12 vs. being stuck with the DP that probably will limit that future. But I'd need to make sure that for now I can use the model 12 as a portastudio but knowing what master track limitations I would have. I can just buy the DP and be fine with that but I'm afraid to buy it and stay limited. From what I see the Model 12 is new tech & the DP is older technology. Now, I'd like to be able to just record my drums and do a basic master (not a perfect album quality recording). So the main question is:
1. Can I do this with the model 12 with no or minor DAW interaction (meaning, recording & mixing and completing a decent master track)?
2. What exactly on the mastering side do I lose from the DP series if I take the model 12 route? (I can't seem to find a good answer for this anywhere)
Any help would be appreciated and I look forward to participating here in the forum.
LRod

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

recording drums (4 mics.) with no DAW or minimal DAW interaction... Maybe a DAW in the future... focus on recording vs. having a master ... model 12 as a portastudio ... master track limitations ...... zero experience ... don't understand the differences internally and how they differ...

1. Can I do this with the model 12 with no or minor DAW interaction (meaning, recording & mixing and completing a decent master track)?
That's a question for the Model 24/16/12 folks, but my guess is you can reduce your drum tracks to a 2-channel stereo or 2-channel mono mix.

2. What exactly on the mastering side do I lose from the DP series if I take the model 12 route? (I can't seem to find a good answer for this anywhere)
As I understand it, the Model 12 is essentially a 10 track live performance digital console with 2-Channel digital mix-down capability and DAW control surface capability.

Again, I can't speak to the mastering capabilities of the Model 12. That's for the Model 24/16/12 folks.

The DP-24/32/SD is a complete recording studio in a box. It's a mixing console, effects rack, 24 track/32 track multi-track recorder/reproducer, 2-Channel recorder/reproducer, and a 2-Channel mastering work station; all accomplished completely within the digital domain. I produce professional masters using my DP-24.

There are 7 virtual tracks for each Multi-track recorder/reproducer track. Handy for recording alternate takes, storing sub-mixes, etc. (several posts in the forum stickies describe the possibilities.)

Auto-Punch is a snap (numerous uses for this beyond correcting mistakes).

The meter screen and menu screens are in color and easy to navigate.

The Multi-Track meters and Stereo Bus Master meters are always visible when tracking and mixing.

The Master Bus screen is always visible when mastering.

Compression and other effects are available and adjustable on each Input in real time while tracking.

There's on-board Bounce mode completely within the digital domain.

Every function in Mix-down Mode is one screen down from the main view screen and accessible for adjustment in real time during mixing.

External gear can be patched in real time when tracking, in Bounce Mode and Mix-down Mode.

Every function in Master Mode is one screen down from the main view screen and accessible for adjustment in real time during mastering (this includes all multi-band and single band compression, and the EQ).

The DP-24/32 forum has a wealth of information in the Sticky Tips on using the DP-24/32/SD.;):)

Last edited:
That puts me on the right track by you detailing the DP's actual functions. In terms of the mastering capabilities of the model 12, Tascam's website says this: "All in One Production From Recording to Mastering".
But that's all it says, it's incredibly vague and goes into no detail in what they mean by that. Also, the manual has no mastering section so that leads me to believe that it has no mastering capabilities beyond just recording something that your forced to then load into a computer. Like you said, maybe one of the 12/16/24 users can chime in on that specific topic. Thanks for the response.
LRod

Thank you Mr. Richards for the YouTube video making the comparison between units. I ended up choosing the DP-24SD and have ordered it. It arrives tomorrow!
I decided on it based on the fact that it avoids a computer based DAW completely. I pondered whether to get something for me to learn how to use a DAW and realized that I'd rather have something that is all in one. I'd rather fully learn the DP unit and use all of its features. I'm just getting into recording anyways so I have a lot to learn. Throwing in learning to use a computer based DAW would just makes things more complicated and would be very time consuming. I just want to record my instruments for fun In my house and that's it. The DP I believe is the right solution. Thanks for the help! I'm sure I will have tons of questions as I go along!

Well, I got cold feet and backed out of the DP-24SD. I've ordered a Model 12. I need to once and for all learn how to use a DAW and this unit will force me to do that. I kept thinking of the ease of a Portastudio but that ease is going to block my possibilities of future expansion and learning about recording. Hope I made the right choice!

Reactions: -mjk-
I'm very curious as to the process you used to arrive at your decision.

My decision was based on the fact that I've been wanting to learn recording for a long time because I'm a "hobbyist" musician. I was always on the fence when it came to learning a DAW. I had all the motivation to learn the hardware aspect, like mic placements etc., but feared the learning curve of the software end of recording. I thought that an "all in one" solution like a Portastudio would take care of that part. I realized that approaching that angle was just an excuse to not learn a DAW. I made the decision to learn both ends and not limit myself with a device that does it all. I believe that the route I have chosen will allow me to really learn recording. I know the Portastudio's are fantastic but learning how to use hardware and the computer & technology that follows in post production is more in line with being able to expand. Hope that clears it up!
LRod

thanks @LRod1707 . That makes sense. I was curious about your 180 turn in 24 hours, just when you said the DP was supposed to arrive.

I suggest you check out Reaper. The Youtube video support is excellent, and Reaper can do virtually anything, including editing video.

Reactions: mijama
I will check out Reaper for sure. About the 180 turn in 24 hours: I was unsure from the beginning, it goes way beyond 24 hours, probably months, Lol! But I thought committing to that would close the deal. Well, it didn't! The motivator inside me said, don't find excuses and just do it! So the Portastudio arrived and I didn't even open the box. It's on its way back as we speak. So I basically paid the difference for the Model 12 and I even paid the return shipping for the Portastudio because I felt it was the right thing to do. So it's a win-win for me and the vendor.

Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
@LRod1707 how are things working out so far?

Ok but not much progress. Been really busy with other stuff. Hoping to actually do something in the next couple if weeks. I'll post whenever I get it all up and running.

How did it work out? I"m in a similar boat right now

The Model 12 is fantastic creation tool BUT one really should use it with a DAW as this combination provides so much amazing capability to build and finish a song.

Certain things are inevitably needed such as trimming the dead air from the front of song to start at the start are very arduous at best, impossible at worst on the M9del 12, but Model 12+ DAW become a matter of a few mouse clicks." Also adding different types of effects on different track, complex types of compression, and total loudness analysis are almost must-haves to finalize a song to sound pro. Model 12 can’t do that, at least without compromise.

The DP series has all that in the box, no DAW required.

Model 12 has thing the DP does not, that make it a lovely companion:
- live mixing capability and controls
- USB interface that works both ways
- more flexible inputs and slightly more racks at one time (10 vs 8)
- midi ad better metronome, bars.beats
- Bluetooth in
Etc... those are quite meaningful.

Now my question is,, is it not unreasonable to use BOTH the a Model 12 (to capture and initially explore tracks) and DP24/32 to finish, mix and master ... but NO DAW!!?

Reactions: dctdct
Digital audio is digital audio. So why not mix-and-match and do whatever you need to get the job done?

Reaper is great if you know what you want and know a bit about the process. Coming in cold,it is a steep learning curve, yes it can do everything, BUT, you have to right click,then try to find the action you want. Novices don't even know what the option they want is called. Then you have Windows configuration and tweaks to eliminate pops......

is it not unreasonable to use BOTH the a Model 12 (to capture and initially explore tracks) and DP24/32 to finish, mix and master ... but NO DAW!!?

Of course you could, but why? I think you might as well record with the DP24/32, and the Model 12 wouldn't be needed.

True, however..

Well, there is a form factor, for one... the Model 12 is much more portable (especially with the optional carry case).

Recording a live band, multi artist setting is the big difference: the Model 12 acts as a mixer that can drive PAs and several cue mixes at one time, with dial-able EQ, reverb, etc.

I am not sure if the “HDDA” pre amps are really better (?) but the compressors are useful in that they act as limiters in the first half of the knob range.

Last edited:
The DP machine can act as an 8 channel live mixer and record up to 8 tracks at a time.

Hmmm, yes I see, so not such a difference other than form factor for live work.

Of course the DP’s also have all the extra tracks and virtual tracks to handle multiple takes - sure wish the Model 12 did that.

So the Model 12 gives all that stuff up in exchange for DAW-related traits -the 12 channel USB interface, controller stuff.

two roads to a great outcome....

New threads

Members online

No members online now.