DP-24SD: Song that plays on computer not playing anything in recorder

Josh Brokaw

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD, DR-40
Hello everyone, I can already see the accumulation of knowledge here is going to be a great resource as I continue to use my DP24.

I'm having trouble with one particular song on a SD card that's otherwise working fine.

The song in question has tracks which are opening just fine on the computer. This is a file which has been mixed before and it currently has an IN/OUT number, which I can see when pulling up the file.

The song is also loading every time I pull it up on the DP24. BUT, I am showing absolutely no playback on any tracks, there's no volume from anywhere. My monitors are set up fine and on 'stereo.' There's no waveforms on the stereo screen or when going to individual tracks with the mixer.

All other songs on this SD card are providing no problems.

I had another song not loading because of "file error," found some "0 kb" files on the computer and deleted them, and it's working fine now. There's no obvious corrupted file in the song that's giving me trouble.

After some searching and skimming the forum I'm not finding any further troubleshooting ideas that apply to this situation.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum.
Have you checked to see which virtual tracks are active?

Only other things that come to mind are the SD card itself, .sys file corruption, or file name related. Those solutions are covered in the Equipment Tips sticky thread, which you've probably checked already.

Last edited:
Nothing is shown in the virtual tracks menu.
Could you point me to the details about .sys files? Not having luck finding details on that here on in Mr. Tipping's videos.
Is there a way to put a 'blank' one of the .sys file into the folder, or is corruption more likely to be in the tracks?

Corrupted song files (zz) are usually the result a failing SD card, or the use of an SD card not tested/approved for use by TASCAM, or out-of-date firmware, or some combination of those. That's covered in the stickies.

Corrupted song.sys or editable.sys files are extremely rare and typically result from not following the proper procedure for renaming songs, which then gets the sys files out of sync with the tracks, and so the portastudio won't recognize the tracks when the song is loaded.

Could you point me to the details about .sys files?
A forum search turned up this thread. Posts #22, #41, #60 provide some general information about .sys files.

Song.sys file corruption is mentioned in another thread here.

Is there a way to put a 'blank' one of the .sys file into the folder,
Perhaps creating a new song and then importing from your computer might work.

The song tracks must first have been exported using Audio Depot to assure all the snippet zz files for the song tracks are consolidated properly. If not, you won't be able to import the complete song tracks back to the portstudio.

However, if you recorded the song all the way through with no start/stops; no punches; no edits, then you might be able to successfully import the single raw zz file for each track.​

is corruption more likely to be in the tracks
If the track zz file plays on your computer, it isn't corrupted.​

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you for the detailed response.

In my impatience, I moved the tracks to a hard drive file, deleted the SD files, moved the track files back onto the SD and then copied the .sys files from another song on the same card into the new file. Problem fixed. Guess I lit the right candle tonight.

It was a song with no punches or cuts, just bounces. Don't think I ever renamed this song.

It was a PNY 16 SD card, I don't have the firmware pulled up right now. In any case, when I started mixing the song it started giving me file errors, so my quick fix was too good to be true.

Volumes have been documented on this site about SD cards and file errors come down to using unapproved SD cards. A card will often work for some time before you suddenly get a file error and then you're usually done because of file corruption. Please don't ask me how I know, lol, but read all the posts in the sticky topics on SD cards. This particular error has no warning.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.