DP-24SD "write error" - bad card?

Greg Ellis

Gear owned
DP24SD
Greetings all. First post here. I've only had my unit for a couple of months.

Has anyone had issues with Sandisk Ultra - class 10 cards?

Last night I got "write error" repeatedly when trying to re-track drums (on a song which I'd already mixed down once). I was able to record for a few seconds, but the error kept reoccurring.

Previously, I've had three instances of "file error" (all which occurred immediatey after engaging redo/undo in autopunch mode). These issues were resolved by deleting corrupted zz files via my PC, but "write error" is a new one. I don't find any corrupted "zzs" from last night - they all play. Just lots of partial takes that abruptly end when the unit decided to fail.

I just finished exporting everything from my SD card. Should I reformat and try again, or order a different card? I'm really hoping it IS a card issue - and not the unit itself.

Last night I got "write error" repeatedly when trying to re-track drums (on a song which I'd already mixed down once). I was able to record for a few seconds, but the error kept reoccurring

Welcome to the forum.

It's hard to say what may be causing your particular issue, but File Errors, Write Errors, Freezes, Lockups, etc. have all been traced to use of SD cards not on the TASCAM approved list, counterfeit SD cards, out-of-date firmware, or all three.

For the benefit of others who may find this thread looking for answers:

Start with the basics:

If you haven't yet, go to the TASCAM website and make sure you have the most current firmware installed.

While on the TASCAM website, download the list of TASCAM tested and approved SD cards for the DP-24/32/SD.

The first thing to do when coming to the forum with an issue is take a look in the four stickies.
In this instance, the "Equipment Related Tips" Sticky posts #8, 9, 28, 38 and 40 are related to SD card use and issues.

There are virtually no issues related to using the DP-24/32/SD that haven't come up in the past.
So in addition to the Stickies, a general forum search will likely turn up many more discussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
I just finished exporting everything from my SD card. Should I reformat and try again, or order a different card? I'm really hoping it IS a card issue - and not the unit itself.

A recommended fix is to backup the SD card, export all tracks using Audio Depot. Backup contents of the SD card to the PC. Upgrade firmware and reformat the SD card. Restore contents on SD card. Create a new Song using the same settings as the original. Import tracks from Audio Depot. This collates all the edits into contiguous files.

The zz files are system files and shouldn't be manually edited under normal circumstances as it can cause your .sys files to lose sync which results in unpredictable errors. The recommended way to clean up used files is with the Delete Unused function on the Song menu.

Thanks everyone. Firmware is V1.05. I will update to V1.07 and re-import all my songs to a new card. I'm ditching the Ultra - just ordered an Extreme Pro.

Reactions: -mjk-
Good move Greg. I had to ditch my Ultra too, even though it was a faster R/W spec. My Extreme Pro solved the issues permanently.

Make sure you format that new card using the machine with the upgraded firmware. Then copy the contents back to the card.

I am getting a "WRITING FAILED" on our Tascam DP-32 with CD Burner. The SD card is from the approved list and it does not go away after turning the machine on and off. Any ideas on how to fix this? It freezes the machine. Thanks,

Thanks mjk. We got a new SD card and it worked for a day, and then "File Error" code when we pushed the record button. Now everything froze and when you turn it off and restart it, it goes to the home page and you can't access the mixer, equalization, etc. and it has no functions except access to the menu. You cant record or play. Any ideas on next steps? Thanks,

Reactions: Mark Richards
@EAST123 if you are doing lots of punch-ins, this can really tax the system and not having the latest firmware and an approved SD card is almost a guarantee of failure.

While the list of SD cards grows outdated until the latest part numbers are added, find one on the list and ask the manufacturer for their updated version of that part number. Upgrades to known good cards will work, but downgrades are not a good idea.

In Post #4 above, I outline a recommended fix. This fix is from Tascam. Its a pain in the neck but it fixes nearly all problems in the known universe.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.