DP-32SD Can't hear recorded tracks on imported song

Varnesh

Gear owned
DP-32SD
I recently got hold of a DP-32SD and, being a novice, have found the answer to many of my questions on this helpful forum... But I'm stuck with this one.

I have successfully created a new song and recorded tracks, listening back with no issues. So I moved in to what I got it for.

The project I'm working on requires me to record guitar tracks on a song that has been sent to me. I had import problems initially, but discovered the default settings didn't match the imported music (it was 48hz). So I created a new song with the same settings and the song came in fine. I can play and hear it fine.

When I've recorded my parts on another track, using the imported song I can hear the guitar playing and it seems to be fine. Looking at the timeline it appears something has been recorded. But when I play back, I can only hear the imported song, not what I played alongside it.

I've recorded and played back successfully before, so I don't think I'm doing anything stupid (I'm prepared to be corrected!) - I'm recording in the correct track and playing back with that slider on full. But still can only hear the imported music.

I confess to not knowing my Hertz from my elbow so don't know if the settings change makes a difference?

Any help that can be offered would be great!

Looking at the meter view (not the Timeline) do you see audio on the recorded tracks?

Hi There - on the meter view, I only see anything on the imported track - nothing for the tracks I added.

Then nothing got recorded on those tracks. The meters are pre-fader on playback and always represent exactly what is on the track.

I suggest that you always use meter mode as it's the only way to immediately verify that there is audio on a track.

Welcome to the forum Varnesh.
The tracks must be separate - in other words, you cannot record 'on top of' an imported track.

When you record live, you choose which track to assign the input to, then you arm that track by pressing its Rec button, then press Record to do the recording from the input source. As mj said, you should see the meters moving.

When you import a file to a track, it must be a different track. 'Importing' acts as if you had already recorded onto that track. No other controls are required - you have no control over the recorded level.

When you playback, you should see something on the meter bars for both tracks, regardless of any other controls.

If you turn up the corresponding track faders, and the master stereo fader, you should hear a 'mix' of the two.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks for your help - very kind.

I have resolved things now. I had the imported file assigned to track one - which I had set up initially for the guitar on input H. I had forgotten to assign track two to input H, so while I could hear it, it wasn't actually recording from that source. Silly mistake really - but your input helped me discover the error of my ways, thank you!

@Varnesh I'm laughing because I'm actually afraid to admit how many times I've done that myself! Welcome to the club!

What helps is to take the input sources off of the Stereo bus unless you actually need them to go to the Stereo bus. That way, you can only hear them if they're assigned to an armed track with the fader up.

Glad you got it worked out. Welcome to the Tascam Forums!

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online