DP-32SD / DP24SD - Live Use Question

GuitArchitect

Gear owned
future purchaser
Hi everyone!

I have a question for you that I hope is quick - I'm trying to figure out if either of these units would work for mixing and recording a small group live (i.e. use the unit as a mixing console AND a live recorder).

I play in an acoustic trio called KoriSoron. You can get a sense of what we do here.

We play in a lot of small venues (libraries, coffee houses etc) that don't have a PA. Typically we use some small on stage amplification to get the sound across, but sometimes things like tabla get lost in the mix.

What I'm looking to do is start recording out live sets in an easy way. After monkeying around with a lengthy computer set up - I found the DP224/32SD and (thinking back to my Tascam 4 track cassette days) thought that it might be perfect as I'd like to just use a stand alone unit.

What I'd LIKE to do is run 6 - 7 mikes into the unit and route some internal effects (reverb and compression or eq) to the monitor mix only (i.e. record dry) so I can transfer the files to my computer and edit them there.

I have a powered speaker and we have small stage amps so I'm thinking I could use the headphone out for monitoring (for the percussionist), use the monitor mix for a live mix (to augment our stage sound) and record the set all at the same time. REALLY - I'd like to set levels and EQs for what we do so that essentially we can set up and tear down in 10-15 minutes. Realizing that the set it and forget it ethos requires constant tweaking I'm trying to minimize stress and increase efficiency?

On PAPER it looks like either of these units would fit the bill - but since you all have experience working with them - I'm wondering if this is too much to ask of a unit.

Sorry for the rambling - and thanks to anyone who replies!

-Scott

I forgot - ideally we'd like to record the entire set (45 mins - 90 minutes) as one track in the "Set it and forget it" ideal.

It should work as you described. You can record up to eight tracks at one time. The DP 32SD has only 8 mono tracks the others are stereo. However, only one internal effect can be used at a time, that is, you can't have reverb and compression at the same time. If you just wanted compression it could only be used on one track only, as its use is dependent on the input assignment. Finally, you will need a 32GB SD card to record a 90 minute show.

Thanks so much for the reply! I've been reading the manual, but without the unit in front of me some of the routing options weren't making sense. I think the reverb is more important and my hope was to not print it to the recording but send it out to the mains for monitoring. But it looks like that's feasible. Now I guess I need to look for a road case (I saw the cool one in Germany but was hoping for a pre-made with shorter turn around time.

Thanks again!

Members online