DP32 froze…I thought all was lost, but no!

Hello. Holy cow… I did a quick search and I think I’m screwed.
Right in the middle of recording a simple track the machine froze with a weird split screen, silence, and a very high pitch soft squeal. Totally frozen. Won’t even turn off.

So…I unplugged it.

Turn it back on…and everything is gone.
Everything.

I believe it’s back to new-out-of-the-box.

I am new to all of this, the machine is new, and the card is a 32g SanDisk extreme pro. ‘10”.

I actually had the usb hooked up a day a ago, and made it work, and never thought to drag/drop and save. Uh, now I will. Lesson learned.

So, anyone have any advice or tips? Do I need to re-format and maybe do the initialize feature or anything you folks know of ? I’m concerned to just put the card in and start over…
Wow…so much lost. Sad start to my new machine. First song nearing the end…all gone.
holy cow.

any help?

Write protect your SD card and place it into your computer's card reader. What do you see?

Ok! Hold on…now something is happening..

I don’t know what “write protect” is, but I did what you said, plugged the SD card into my iMac, and I see my song!

Can you help me get it back to the format where the DP sees it?
I may have lost a little, but I see a bunch of stuff and many many ZZ files and a wav file and more. So there is data here.

what do I do now? I’m sensing an import is in order?
Back to Mr. Tipping’s book ?

thank you for any help !

1. Backup the SD card to your computer.
  2. Without inserting the SD Card, turn on your portastudio.
  3. Press: Menu/Information. Look at the System Version and make sure you have the most current one. Info on updating that is in the stickies. If you followed my suggestion to you early on in another thread, you should have the most current version. If not, get new version.
  4. Keeping your SD card write protected, with the portastudio off, insert the write protected SD card. Turn on your portastudio.
What happens?

Last edited:
Done ! One big drag and drop. Nearly 2 gigs.

stand by. I responded to your thread but then more info popped up in your thread. So, I am doing this now. My version is 1.08.0025. I believe I updated it and all that when new, but I am looking now to see what is the newest version. I have no idea. Stand by…

Last edited:
ok. I do believe I have the newest firmware. And I believe by "write protected" you are telling me to slide the little switch on the card to "lock" it.

Done.

Card back in. System on. it appears my stuff is back?? WHAT!?

Now what? The card is locked, so I am afraid to do anything.

Thank you ! ! So far so good !

Test the system by loading your song. The only thing you won't be able to do is "Save".

"File Error"

I was able to load my "!Factory" template that I made pursuant to Mr. Tippng's lessons.
But the song I made, is giving me "file error"

:(

It could be the last track or two you recorded are corrupt. Look in the stickies for solutions to the file error message.

Will do. Thank you very much.

Ok... I am there.. I do see the last ZZ file will not play, the others are.

Your sticky says to "move" the bad one to another location...
I am unsure where to move it. Can I just delete it?
The sticky does not use the word "delete" so I am nervous.

Can you tell me where to move it? Or...delete it ?

Then, I will re-install.... and let the universe take over...
Thank you again.

Last edited:
IT WORKED ! !
Thank you so very much.
* I deleted the bad ZZ file.

Song loaded.... I am back !

One more question...
I have a bad habit of playing a part, messing up, rewind, re-play, over and over.... Years ago on my Roland VS1680, I would undo, re-play, over and over... trying to do that now too, as I am afraid I am creating a problem with so many overdubs after overdubs... Do you think this is a likely culprit?

I have the und0 set to 1 level, thinking that I can just tap-undo-repeat and not stack up 30 takes on one part. Any suggestions...? (I know, play better... haha). but, this is it for me, for now..

HOLY COW... it did it again.
So... that's it. I assume a new card... and then the test will be the card or the DP hardware?

Or... Can I possibly delete all the zz files I don't need and streamline the file? Is it possible its just too much? Hard to believe, it is far from a massive production that folks could really do here. But, there are many small little takes and overdubs that may be tripping up the unit ?

Any thoughts? I will go back now, repeat the process from before, and stand by hoping someone can help. I assume a new card is a must ?

Drat.

well.... stand by...
I went back and deleted more ZZ files from today, not just the bad one that wouldn't play.
I am back to work and we will see if maybe there was more than one that needed deleting.

Thank you !!

Last edited:
Update-

Deleting all the zz files from this morning seemed to cure the problem.
I am so greateful for the help.

Thank you.

Reactions: dctdct
Thank you mjk. You are absolutely correct. The help I needed was there all along. Lucky for me, Mark showed me the way. Just finished a long day on the DP32. So happy ! Was a scary lesson earlier, but I will back up now, and I think I need to move a little slower on the machine. I am tapping buttons and scrolling that wheel too fast and likely tripped it up, and corrupted a zz file with back-to-back-to-back fast overdub-rewind-record-repeat frantic behavior. So, a little calmness will help too. Anyway, this is great. Been a long time since I made a song from scratch. Really happy.

Thanks folks.

Reactions: -mjk-
You may have already spotted this in the excellent sticky posts mentioned by Mark and MJ, but running the 'Delete Unused' function on your song at regular intervals will prevent the build-up of old ZZ files.
Every time you do a retake, regardless of the Undo setting, a new ZZ file will be created for every armed track. These files do appear to cause 'clog ups' after a while.

Mr Tipping! Hello, and thank you.
I recall that option and will definitely use it. I am just naive and concerned how does it know what is “unused” to delete ? Does it basically delete ALL previous tracked material and leave only the most recent on each V track? That would be fine with me. I can’t imagine needing to undo my way back to something. That’s not my workflow. I only move in one direction. Hahaha.

Can you confirm exactly what the function does ? Sorry to bother everyone. I will try to find out myself too. Sounds like the tip for me. Thank you !

Reactions: -mjk-
Delete Unused deletes all ZZ files which are not part of the current state of the song, so all track recordings including virtual tracks are safe.

Any history will be deleted so you won't be able to 'undo' anything. It only applies to the selected song.

Normally all history is kept, although the machine will only let you go back a limited number of steps depending on your Undo level setting. You can change the undo level at any time; the setting makes no difference to the history which is retained. e.g. if you have it set to 1 and do lots of retakes, then change it to 10, you'll be able to see those previous takes in the history.

There is also a thread/post about periodically reformatting the SD card. In addition to that, there is a Tascam recommended procedure for SD card failure recovery that involves exporting all files from all songs and then re-importing them into newly created songs on a freshly formatted SD card.

New threads

Staff online

Members online