DP32 inputs too sensitive

David G

Gear owned
DP32 SD
Hi,

I just bought a DP32 and made a quick test while rehearsing with my band. First of all, let me say that I am a TascamDP32 newbie, but I have solid audio background so I clearly understand gain, signal amplitude, signal path and so on,

I plugged in several inputs to the Tascam:
- 3 inputs coming from the insert connector of our mixer (2 voices and a bass guitar after a DI).
- DI output of a guitar amp.
- SM57 in my snare.
- D112 in my kick.

I had to set the gain knobs for all the 6 inputs at lowest value and some of the inputs were already clipping! Let me explain it a little bit more.

The 3 inputs coming from the mixer they are already amplified so it could make sense that output is too big for the Tascam. I expected to set the knob something around unity gain, but my mixer outputs levels and Tascam input may not be the same, so I could understand it. It seems a little bit strange because this outputs are meant to be connected to an external compressor, so signal amplitude should be quite standard, but I can accept it.

The DI output of the amp may have the same issue. I use this output with a Behringer mixer and I had to set the gain at some value. I actually unplugged the cable from the mixer and connected to the DP32. In this case, I could somehow reduce the output level in the amp, but I would need to change my guitar player amp settings and I would prefer not to do this. Again, this output level was ok for the mixer, but extremely loud for the Tascam.

Last inputs do not make sense for me. I placed an SM57 right on top of the snare, in the normal studio/live position. Input track level was getting in the "blue meter area" and both input and track were even overloading some times when I hit the snare. Same happens with the D112 in my kick. These are standard mics at standard positions, and I had to trim (reduce) the signal coming from them because signal was clipping?

Regarding the Tascam configuration, I did a factory reset and updated the unit to last fw right after I received it. I set a demo song with default 8 input to 8 track assignment. I just set record buttons on the 6 inputs and read the track meters in the screen and the red OL light in the inputs, I did not raised the faders and I did not set any output while recording to avoid any feedback/side effect since it was the first time I used it.

I have some questions I would appreciate someone would answer to me, because I may be doing something wrong or maybe I did not understand something in the manual / signal path...

1. The trim input knobs are supposed to reduce or amplify the signal, having the unity gain set around 1 0'clock (info coming from Tipping's tutorials). Is that correct? I know I cannot set input level to -inf as a fader or a mixer gain input would do, but I expected it to "almost kill the signal".
2. Is there any configuration or preset or something that I should configure within the menus? This trim is before the ADC, so it would not make 100% sense, but maybe the hardware may have some gain set configurations via menus.
3. Has anyone experienced this? I mean, I tried to record the kick and snare as a quick test with normal dynamic mics. What will happen when I place some bigger output condenser overheads in the cymbals? I cannot be the first one struggling with this.
4. Trim knob behaves different if I use the jack or the XLR inputs? I did not find it in the manual, but people's experience is always one step beyond ;)
5. Do you see anything I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.
Haven't time to study your whole post, but thought I'd just clarify that the unity gain setting on the trim knob only applies to the 1/4" line input, not the XLR mic input. The XLR input is more sensitive than the 1/4" so is easier to overload; if you're using the XLR you could try a cable with a 1/4" plug instead (or use an adaptor), but you may have to consider phantom power (only if it's needed) as this only appears on the XLR pins.
Some mics and/or source sounds (like drums) are known to produce levels too high for preamps even if their input gains are turned right down. For these cases, either move the mic further away or use an external attenuator in the signal path.

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct
Hi Phil,

First of all, thanks for your youtube videos. You may have heard this thousands of times, but they were really useful, I made a first record within 30' since I opened the box :)

That being said, it is interesting to read that 1/4" and XLR inputs have different sensitivity! I searched again in the manual and I found it, first time I searched for it I did not find it, my fault.

My first try will be to use a XLR/jack adaptor. If it gives me more range to adjust signals, I will just set this as my standard to work with the DP.

Thanks for your feedback,

New threads

Members online

No members online now.