DP32SD crashes when trying export with insufficient space on card

joslenior

From
Netherlands
Gear owned
US-2x2, DP32SD
Grtz,
I think I found a bug on my new DP32SD: when I tried to export to the audo depot while the card was almost full I got the message export failed. When I tried to get back to the main menu using the back button (<) the unit crashed. I had to pull the power to restart it. No data was lost but the unit defaulted to factory settings. I realize the unit is still on rev. 1 , but I'm curious if anyone has seen this problem.

Tnxs,

Jos

Yep, me too. I know now to transfer the contents of the folders to my computer before going on to the next recording.
Have you tried recording in 24bit yet? I'd be interested to know because when I do, I start to get nasty pops and clicks after editing and introducing Insert points. I'm not sure but I have a feeling its something to do with pressing play and rewind at the same time to go back to an Insert point rather than use the IN button. Trouble is, the pops and clicks are permanent!

I haven't experienced the plop problem yet when recording at 24 bit. Regarding the crash problem: I contacted Tascam Support and they replied that this is most likely caused by sd card problems. Many manufacturers make changes to their sd cards without changing the identification on the card. This is why a card type on the tested-ok list of Tascam may fail in the field.Problem with sd cards is that they are not designed for read and write at the same time. They are designed for streaming purposes. That's why recording at 24 without any actions as punch-in generally goes well. Due to the nature of (block oriented) flash memory any change on a file means copying the block with the changes to a new block and flag the original location as void. This not only means much activity on the data segment of the card but also on the management section of the card. As stated by someone in the clicks and plops thread: it looks like Tascam has underestimated the performance requirements of the sd cards.

Furthermore it is important to realize that sd card eventually wear out causing problems with cards that have been working fine.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.