Model 24 Aux Outputs

TascamUser1218

Gear owned
Model 24
New to the forum, hope you can help? Just got the model 24, and checking the master section. Had my phone bluetoothed in to 21/22 to make sure control room outs and phone outs work, which they do. Turned up the Aux master and channel 21/22 aux signal, plugged the phones into Aux out 1 jack and only getting left side signal. Checked again on Aux 2, same result. Used a different pair of headphones, same result, only getting left side headphone to come on. Balance set to dead center.

When I AFL the signal and listen to the control room outs, I see that it is mono. I must be overlooking something?

Thanks for any help guys.

Welcome to the forum. Aux outputs are line level and you should never connect any headphone there. Aux outputs are TRS MONO while headphones are TRS STEREO, furthermore headphones have low impedance and will likely constitute an overload to the Aux output stage. The Model series have a dedicated headphone monitor section.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks for the response. Oddly, my older Yamaha mixer (MGP24X) had TRS Aux outputs that drove the headphones with no issues, so I assumed the Tascam would work the same way, but obviously not.

I did take the Tascam's Aux out and fed a line level input to another small mixer and it worked just fine (in mono of course.).

Thanks again.

Are you sure? According to the MGP24X manual the Aux outputs are balanced XLR. Monitor outputs are "impedance-balanced" 1/4" jacks. Anyway both Aux and Monitor outputs on the Yamaha are rated at +4 dB @75 Ohm, while on the Model 24 the Aux outputs are rated at -2 dB @100 Ohm.

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes, it worked. I took the balanced XLR outs on the MGP24X and sent them to a patch bay with the bay set to thru. Just plugged the headphone in to the patch bay and it worked. I used the monitor outs to drive my studio monitors.

I have some friends coming to record this weekend. I ordered a little 4 channel headphone amp and I'll feed it with the sub outs of the Tascam. That should work fine. Everyone will get the same mix, but not an issue.

Yes, it worked. I took the balanced XLR outs on the MGP24X and sent them to a patch bay with the bay set to thru. Just plugged the headphone in to the patch bay and it worked.
Here's a simple audio engineering 101 rule:
If the output jack isn't labeled "Phones" or "Headphones", don't use it to connect headphones.
;)

Last edited:
The Aux buses are mono, btw. To get stereo, you'd have to use a bus for Left and another one for Right.

Reactions: Max Relic
Noted, thank you mjk. I have a dual channel headphone amp coming that I can wire the sub outs to the 1st input and the two Aux outs to the 2nd input. As Mark said, the headphones wlll go into the headphone jacks :)

Reactions: Max Relic and -mjk-

Members online