DR-1 problem

WSWS

Gear owned
DR-1
Strange problem with the DR-1, which has worked pretty well for several years.

I get a loud buzzing in one mic—— It registers on the display and as a steady buzz on that channel in the recorded file.

This problem has arisen before and inexplicably has gone away after a usually short period of time.

I have tried a hard reset, full format, and adjusting the recording settings— but this time the buzzing remains. It appears the loudness of it may change, and if it is, it's not clear why that is happening either.

It seems to probably be a computer problem, not one with the hardware?

I have the same issue with my almost 10-year old DR-1. It's been faultless until today, when the right channel (only) started recording a very loud buzz when on the internal mics. The buzz has a broad spectrum focussed around 3kHz approx, and is only present when using the internal mics; the left channel, and recording in stereo via LINE IN are both fine. It's almost like the right internal mic has lost its connection to the pre-amp, leaving the pre-amp to pickup self noise from inside the unit. It's definitely not RFI from an external source - I've tried it standing in a field at least 100m from any RF source (and with no cell phone on me, of course) and the buzz is still there. Any ideas anyone, or is it time to retire the DR-1?

OK, so I fixed my DR-1. It *was* the connection to the right mic capsule. After taking it apart to access the mics, and managing to get it to run without the case on, one of the right mic connections was iffy. Slight pressure with a screwdriver tip on the connection on the capsule would make the buzz go away, so I reflowed the joint with a soldering iron and now it all seems to work perfectly.
The trouble is that I'll never trust the DR-1 again for anything important, so I'll have to get a new one anyway to be sure of not messing up a crucial live recording.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.