DR-100 MK3 cannot adjust input levels, tried everything! Video of problem included

andrewns99

Gear owned
DR-100 mk3
I have owned a Tascam DR-100 MK3 for the past three years, and from the beginning I couldn't figure out how to adjust the input level when the record button flashes after pressing it one time. I ran it in auto level mode for three years and never had an issue with it, but have no use for the device anymore. Before I try to sell it, I want to make sure I don't have a defective unit. I have updated to the most recent firmware.

My settings: WAV24, 192 kHz, Stereo, XRI on, dual rec off, file inc off, auto rec off, pre rec off, auto tone off
input/output settings: UNI, SDL1, everything else after is off

I am using the stock Tascam uni mic, no supplements.

When I hit the record button once so it flashes, when i scroll the input level wheel, nothing changes. The numbers in the bottom right corner of the screen with the left and right both say 16.0, and an unable to change that. Every youtube video I watch shows those numbers changing when people scroll the input level wheel. I've tried changing settings, nothing is working!

Here is the Youtube link to a video I made showing the problem.

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

Disregarding the download time to get the user manual, it literally took 1 minute to find this in the user manual:

If the input source is set to LINE, EXT LINE or DIGITAL,
the level control function is disabled.•When AUTO
LEVEL is selected, the input level knob has no
effect because the volume is adjusted automatically.•
You can also change this setting with the FUNCTION
screen
LEVEL CONTROL item. (See “Function menu list” on
page 13.)

As explained in the post and video, my input source is set to UNI MIC, so the input level knob SHOULD work.

And I am not in auto level mode. I used auto level for years since I couldn't figure out how to set the input levels. Now that I am trying to set the levels with the input knob, I'm having the same issue as I did 3 years ago.

Sorry, but you did say "I ran it in auto level mode for three years and never had an issue...."

What about the "function screen level control" the manual referred to? What does that do?

Should’ve worded it differently, my bad. But yes, now trying to set the levels myself, i am unable to. Every other aspect of the unit works, so I am wondering if there’s just a programming screw up in my unit.

Somehow, that control is locked out (pointing out the obvious, I know). I would still proceed on the assumption that there is some setting overriding that control. It's highly likely that a functioning recorder has a single firmware issue such as that.

After going through each menu setting and individually changing each one to see if it would fix the issue, none did. After watching several videos of people using the device no different than I am, I think I just have a weird unit.

I have the previous version, and there the Auto/Limiter switch is on the back: maybe that switch fails and somehow stays in the On position?

Reactions: -mjk-
Update - tried everything imaginable except firmware changes to old versions. If that doesn't work, I'm convinced I have a dud.

New threads

Members online