DR-40 lots of lights come on on power up, but unit does not work

sharkinferno

Gear owned
DR-40
So. My DR-40, which has functioned fine up until yesterday, has ceased to function.
When I turn it on (connected to wall power or computer, I don't use batteries...), the DUAL, 4CH, OVERDUB, PEAK and RECORD lights all come on, as does the main screen, which remains blank orange.

Nothing works. No buttons respond. (No... the HOLD is NOT on.....).

The only option is to pull the power cord, and it goes off.

I have tried many things, including removing the brain card. (Unit does the exact same thing with the card OUT....)

Any ideas? (Still waiting on TASCAM Tech Service to get back to me.....)

Will it do a factory reset?

Try Test Mode. To enter the Test Mode menu (at least for the DR-44WL), hold Quick and Rewind (<<) while powering on.

If that doesn't work, find someone with a DR-40 Service Manual, or buy one (Teac/Tascam parts: +1 323 727 4840).

That does not work.
There is nothing in teh manual about this problem.

@sharkinferno apparently you have the manual, and it should tell you how to do a factory reset. That's always the first thing to try.

If the recorder can't boot, he can't see the factory reset menu option.

Reactions: -mjk-
@GTBecker so, there's a power-up keypress for test mode, but not reset?

> ... power-up keypress for test mode, but not reset?

I think that's right. It is correct for the DR-44WL and the DR-100, so I suspect the DR-40 also has a Test Mode - but you need to have an operating processor and the correct pressed keys.

The frozen LEDs on your machine might not be a good sign.

@GTBecker wow, I never would've suspected that! I looked at the manual, and see no power-on reset keypress. A quick search of Youtube revealed that other people have similar lock up problems with this unit. One of the other DR models has a pinhole reset button. Personally, I think that power up reset capability is extremely important for units that won't boot the firmware.

sharkinferno said:
"... pull the power cord, and it goes off. I have tried [] removing the brain card."

What is the "brain card"? Have you tried batteries? Suppose your USB power source has drooped to 3V...

It does sound like it's not getting the correct power supply voltage/current.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.