DR 40 shuts off in mic + phantom

KeithOR

Gear owned
DR 40
Hi, I'm a new member. Thank you for considering this question/problem. Please advise me if I have posted this incorrectly or in the wrong area of forum.

I'm using a TASCAM DR-40:

When I turn the Ext In switch to Mic + phantom setting, I get a message on screen that says Phantom on Are you sure? Enter Yes.
(At this point-- There are no other options; the left and right buttons do nothing).
Then When I press enter (the only option), after a second, the DR40 turns off (with a clicking sound).

I tried resetting. Also updated firmware. Same problem. Happens when the recorder is off and I put it in the Mic + phantom mode and then turn it on. Also when it is on and I switch it to that setting. It doesn't matter if a mic is plugged in or not.

What do you suggest?
Thank you,

Keith in Oregon

Last edited:
Hi! I have the same device (DR-40) with a very similar problem. So i'll use this topic to not flood the forum.

In the "Rec Mode" menu, when I select the "Dual mode", "Overdub", "4 channels" or change the Source to "Ext Mic" (Mono or Stereo) the DR40 turns off (with a clicking sound too).

The device is recording normally with the internal mics, but with this problem i can't use any external mic! It doesn't matter if the "Ext in" key is in the Line, Mic or Mic+Phantom position. It doesn't matter if a mic is plugged in or not.

After a hard search, the only thing I found was a video on youtube showing exactly the same problem. I will share to make easy to understand what are happening!

I will be very glad for any solutions or any kind of suggestion!

Thank you!

P.S.: Sorry about my english, but i think you will get the idea! =)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.