DR-44: Recovered files after power down - how can i restore the recording?

Claudiu Petrescu

Gear owned
Tascam DR-44WL
Hello everybody!

I recently made a recording with the DR-44WL built-in mics and a wireless lavalier simultaneously. I was recording a wedding ceremony, using the DR-44 recorder with the AC adaptor, for about 50 minutes but before i was going to press the stop button the power went down.
Apparently i lost the recording... i did not have any audio file on the SD card.

I tried to scan the card after that, using RescuePRO and recovered a lot of files with .cur and .ico extension.

When i imported them into Adobe Audition, these files were all fragments of 1,1 seconds of the recording i lost. They have little portions of the built-in mics audio intercalated with little portions of lavalier audio. The lavalier portions are pitched (2 x normal speed) There are thousands of files like this. I want to restore/reconstruct them somehow but i don't know how to do it. Did anyone have this situation?

This recording is very important. I can not use the audio from camera because it is very low quality and it was taken outdoors and it was a little windy...

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Is there logic in the timing and naming of the files? If so, I would recommend Steinberg Wavelab Pro to create a complete recording with it again. The batch processor in Wavelab Pro is perfect for this. It's not cheap (the full version, which I think is needed) but maybe you can try some things with the 30-day trial version.

The naming of the files is given by RescuePRO, they are numbered and seem to be in the right order. Almost all of them have 1,114 second duration. And to be more specific about the content, it`s something like this...

For example if the original phrase of the priest was "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness the union of..." then:
File01 would have "Dearly beloved, we are[from lavalier - 2 x normal speed] + Dearly beloved[from built in mics - normal speed]"
File02 would have "we are gathered [from built in mics - normal speed]"
File03 would have "here [from built in mics - normal speed] + gathered here today [from lavalier - 2 x normal speed]"​
an so on...

I can do a batch process in Adobe Audition too. I thought about finding a pattern somehow, record an action like cutting from specific time to time and apply this as a batch process to all files or to all files joined toghether.

But i was wandering if there is a better, less complicated solution...

Oh my.. With such files I don't think anything automated can do an acceptable job.

These files ar probably created by Tascam system before it closes de final saved file of the recording. I`m hoping someone here knows something about this system and maybe there is a tool or a hack for this situation or... someone from Tascam reads this forum.

Hi Claudiu,
Not been a member very long, but here we go.
Watch Phil Tipping's Youtube videos.
Especially the Export/Import one.
I think the ZZ files, he is talking about.
Are similar to the ones you are trying to join together.
You will also need The .sys files, by the look of it.
Hope this helps.

Jeffoldbean.

Reactions: Claudiu Petrescu

New threads

Members online

No members online now.