Enabled MU1000 Meterbridge Remote layer DM4800

There are two ways to go about this. You can deselect the option that the meterbridge follows SELECT. So it allways stays at the return channel level. And if that represents the 12 busses you created in your DAW (Cubase, Sonar, Protools, Logic) then it will be active in the remote layer..

So. That's one.

The second option is one I have never used before. But with firmware 1.5 came a document wich Will Miho uploaded. (He's a true TV-Audio guy (happy to have him as a guest here) uploaded that document that accompanied that firmware. And in that document a different way is discribed... I have never used it. But it's another way to go about... Will and Jarno own a DM4800 I believe so they can answer this better than I . Since I own a DM24... But I've worked with a couple. So hopefully it will help you guys..

How to setup the MU1000:

SELECT remote fader layer meter in METER/FADER/METER screen
SELECT "sel key Follows Fader Layer Status"
SELECT " Meter follows SEL KEY" (OPTION->Preference screen)

The meter will follow when you change to the REMOTE FADER LAYER. Now the selector will go out when selecting the remote layer as there was no light for that layer on the MU1000. So the design choice was to let the light go to OFF when at remote layer

DM4800 user running PT9/10 and the "METER/FADER" page with the suggested selections checked still does not show metering for your remote DAW channels. You get the nag screen_REMOTE: HUI Emulate (not supported)....I use this HUI function all the time to successfully act as a PT controller but the MU doesn't show the level metering from PT...I'd like it too but it doesn't look do-able.

That would be correct, it doesn't show your levels if you are mixing strictly in the box but if you look up Jamsire's YouTube video, he shows you how to set it up by returning your signals back to the board.

yes I saw this other tip on our other Forum...something about doing a config of the PT i/o out to hardware. Seems I might need cabling? I will investigate this...THX,

Wilson

There's no cabling. It's all how you route to the DM with the FW card and setting up your DAW.

couldn't find a PT DAW spec vid on YT (seems to be on Cubase-centric) from jamsire but I think I get the idea...will report back if I get it right.

It is Cubase in the video however the principal applies to all DAW's as Jamsire stated in the video. You can simply route your channels back to DM. I've done it just to understand the workflow of mixing OTB so if I can do it anyone can LOL.

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum and the dm4800. Loving it so far but struggling a little to get going. I able to control logic 9 in remote I only have a USB no FireWire cardamom I write in thinking that I can't get the meter bridge to work to show me what's going out of logic without a FireWire card.

Thanks

Antony

I've watched Jamsires yt vid and it seems pretty straight forward. But has anyone got this going on logic 9. Im not big on midi but I presume this is achieved via logics environment page

Using the meterbridge while using the remote layer is not difficult. The concept, however, seems to be elusive to many. I am hoping one more explination will not offend anyone.

The basic premis is that you assign each channel (or track) in your DAW to an output from your computer. (FW card, ADAT, AES/EBU, etc...) For most of us, this means assigning each DAW Track OUT to its own FW channel OUTPUT. For instance, if I want to see 24 channels of DAW tracks on my meterbridge, I would assign each DAW track to a seperate individual FW channel output. ie: DAW Track 1 OUT to Tascam FW out 1, DAW Track 2 out to Tascam FW out 2, etc, up to 32 channels. If you have an ADAT card in your computer, then try grouping several of your tracks into 8 groups or 8 track folders (8 for each ADAT output at 48KHz or less) and then send those outputs to the ADAT outputs.

Those output signals should then be assigned to indiviual channel inputs in the DM via your ROUTING page. So now, instead of simply sending the DAW's stereo outs to 2 channels in the DM, you should have each individual channel sending its own OUT to a corresponding channel input into the DM ie: CH layer 1-16 (3200) or 1-24 (4800) inputs should be assigned to the FW Slot inputs. Or the DM's ADAT inputs, etc... Now, I would normally have channels 1-16 assigned to "M/L" 1-16 (I have a 3200) but I also have the "Source Invert" function which allows me to assign those same channels to SLOT1, CHs 1-16. By simply "inverting" the source to the SLOT 1 inputs instead of the M/L inputs (this is all done on your routing page) I am now assigning those channels to the FW SLOT 1 outs from my DAW . Be sure to REinvert those inputs when you go back to record again, so M/L 1-16 will be available.

Now, find that setting on the DM that makes the meterbridge follow whatever fader you touch (or select with the select key) and DEselect it. You don't want the Meterbridge to follow you when you touch the Remote layer faders. Instead you want the meterbridge to STAY on the first fader layer only, to display the meters from those DAW channels we assigned to the first set of channels (like 1-16).

So, at this point, you should be seeing the individual tracks displaying levels on the meterbridge, just like you did when it was only the stereo outs from your DAW. Now, select your Remote layer. If it's been setup correctly via the USB midi between your DAW and the DM, you have been able to move the faders in the DAW from the DM all along. Nothing has changed, But now, you can see the individual outputs from each track change on the meterbridge as you move the faders in the remote layer. PFM!

It makes sense when you put it all together, but it is more like a workaround. When I first bought the DM, I THOUGHT I would simply select the remote layer and there would be my individual track meters. Nope. Does not work this way.

Now, I realize I am only explaining whateveryone has already explained before, but I hope I am adding those few bits that might help someone(s) put it together a little better.
S

Stating the obvious, but you can also leave the meterbridge -follows-select-fader alone, and still access the 1st fader layer on the VU display by pushing the upper layer button on the meterbridge. That way you still have layer -specific (Aux/Bus) meter visuals, which is handy in an OTB mix scenario.

CaptDan

@Tascman.

Great. Makes perfect sense. I am new to the dm4800, I have my daw set to 1-32 output 1and 2, output 3 and 4 etc. cause if I select mono out from logic I lose pan on that logic track. I monitor my return from logic on DM layer 2 (meterbridge working) So basically on the input page on the DM I am set track 1-8 m/L etc, under each input I select slot 1-1 slot 1-2 etc. and then press invert and do as you say not select follow fader and remote layer will be metered.

by captdan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:26 am

Stating the obvious, but you can also leave the meterbridge -follows-select-fader alone, and still access the 1st fader layer on the VU display by pushing the upper layer button on the meterbridge. That way you still have layer -specific (Aux/Bus) meter visuals, which is handy in an OTB mix scenario.

Man why s this not made clear in the manual, maybe it is but I couldn't find it. So straight forward. Thanks.

Antony

why s this not made clear in the manual, maybe it is but I couldn't find it. So straight forward. Thanks.

To my knowledge, there's no mention of this in any of the DM manuals. Perhaps a cursory instruction card was included with the MU1000 in its original package, but I can't say.

A zillion years ago, I saw an old Warner Bros cartoon featuring Porky Pig. He's standing in front of a complicated machine with a big red button. He says' "I wonder what dis button is fo.." He pushes it and BLAM!!!! :shock:

Maybe Tascam just assumed you'd wonder the same thing about the MU1000's buttons, and when you pushed them, you'd experience a similar wakeup call. :)

CaptDan

Hello TascMan, I just seen your reply to getting level monitoring from your DAW using pro tools , to show on the MU-1000 meter bridge using a DM3200 or 4800. Im using PT10 and a 4800 and having great troubles trying to get it working. is there anyway you could make a short you tube video or even a well detailed step by step process for both PT I\O and 4800 routing set up emailed directly to me? it would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this console and would very much like to get the meter bridge functioning to the remote or DAW levels. my email is musicsetsfre1 at gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:

New threads

Members online