Energizer Ultimate Lithium Unreliable?

GTBecker

Veteran
Gear owned
DR-44WL
I've been using Ultimate Lithiums in my DR-44WL. Too many times I've found that one cell suddenly, it seems, drops to ~1v and the recorder shuts down. I could excuse a rare bad cell, but this has happened five or six times over maybe six months. I no longer trust them, so I've begun using an external USB supply and will probably revert to alkalines.

Has anyone also found Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs unreliable?

Answering myself, I believe I've found a likely cause of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA apparent "failures". It may be the very sharp discharge knee. http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/l91.pdf

The cell essentially simply turns off when it is depleted, unlike alkalines which deplete slowly. This makes the power supply status indicator, the battery graphic in the upper-right of the DR-44 screen, useless; it will show full, then suddenly empty when using lithium cells.

These leads to my realization that the four cells in the recorder always need to be changed as a group; replacing a single depleted cell with a new one just sets up the next cell "failure".

Wow, it falls off a cliff with no warning! I'm guessing the battery indicator can't display that battery's condition accurately enough to be of any use. By the time you notice, it's too late.

New threads

Members online