EX.Out TC ELECTRONICS AND DM3200

mixtrip81

From
Italy
Gear owned
Tascam DM3200 FW CARD MK2
Hi guys, how can i set a TC Electronic Finalizer in to DM3200??? I ve think from Aux S 3 -4 or by Adat or by tdif??? How can't have a larsen??? HHave a good day to everyone

Depends on what you are using your Finalizer for. But in any case just use the physical connector you want: ADAT, SPDIF, analog (ASN SND/RET). Then create an INSERT routing for your chosen connector pair in DM's ROUTING screen. And finally assign this insert scheme to any channel, buss or stereo.

Thx for reply Jarno, i think to use my Finalizer by Adat, i need to set loopmaster on a routing channel??

Anyone can help me with a rounting ???

Jarno said:
Depends on what you are using your Finalizer for. But in any case just use the physical connector you want: ADAT, SPDIF, analog (ASN SND/RET). Then create an INSERT routing for your chosen connector pair in DM's ROUTING screen. And finally assign this insert scheme to any channel, buss or stereo.

Jarno, If I am using my Rosetta 200 for the mastering process.. is this how I should be doing it??

Hey Charlie,

Any mastering effect should be inserted into the stereo pathway to your two-track mix. So - let's say you're mixing OTB back to Cubase: you'd insert the Rosetta into the DM's stereo bus, then route that bus back to a stereo track in Cbase. Conversely, if you were mixing ITB, the Rosetta would be inserted in Cbase's stereo track.

Same deal with standalone editors; whatever means is used, the mastering effects/plugs should be applied as inserts into the final 2-mix file. Used as an insert, an effect or device can be non-destructively adjusted and monitored before it's printed onto the destination file.

Okay. I'll stop imitating Jarno now. He does a better job of that than I do. :)

CaptDan

Thanks capt. I am trying to understand the phyiscal patching of what you described above. how are you inserting the Rosetta into the DM's stereo bus exactly?
Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Rosetta. But - assuming its connections are - say - ADAT:

Rosetta's ADAT outs are physically patched to the DM's ADAT-ins. Those inputs are routed in the DM - (via: Routing/Input/Insert/Terminal Select-ADAT##) to DM Stereo Out. This assumes that you've chosen the DM's Stereo Bus as the final output back to Cubase. You can, instead, choose a stereo bus or - perhaps - two other stereo channels as the destination, but I'm not really savvy on that option, and how to monitor the results without getting a feedback loop.

In any event, the same patching method would apply for any other input format - TDIF, analog (Assign - send/return), SPDIF (#1 or #2), etc.

Disclaimer: I hope I didn't leave something out; if so, Jarno will correct me, I hope. :)

CaptDan

cmaffia said:
Rosetta 200 for the mastering process.
Apogee Rosetta 200? Isn't that an A/D D/A converter? So what is it's purpose/role in your mastering process? Im confused here!

Same to the OP. I already asked you what are you using your Finalizer for?

Detailed routing advice always depends on what do YOU want to achieve. Asking "how should I route my device X?" is like asking "how should I fix my car with a sledge hammer?". Obvious answer to the latter one: you shouldn't if "fixing" means vaxing and polishing. :twisted:

Jarno. I want to use the mastering facilities of the Rosetta 200. It's not just a A/D D/A converter. Hardware mastering outboard gear in a nutshell.

CODA: Audio Finishing Module
Including the Aptomizer, Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) and UV22HR.

Unique to the Rosetta 200, CODA offers a trio of tools that will preserve the integrity of hi-def recordings with a minimal loss of quality. Heading up the CODA threesome is Apogee’s “Aptomizer”. With the Apotimizer you can maximize levels with out increasing noise and distortion. Great for mastering, the Apotimizer’s “Learn” mode allows the Rosetta 200 to automatically determine the optimum level, and use it consistently to normalize incoming audio.

Another aspect of CODA is premium sample rate conversion (SRC). In the past, Apogee hardware has not offered sample rate conversion because the results were disappointing but recent advances have made SRC a viable option and now a vital part of CODA. With Apogee’s implementation of sample rate conversion you can up or down sample without noticeably affecting the quality of your audio.

Apogee’s "UV22HR" dithering technology completes the CODA triangle by offering powerful reduction of high-resolution digital audio to 16 bits for the Internet and CD mastering. It is estimated that UV22HR is used on 8 out of 10 commercially released CDs in the U.S. The Rosetta 200 with CODA on board provides an end-to-end solution for capturing and optimizing high definition digital.

"how should I fix my car with a sledge hammer?".

Depends on the car. If it's a Yugo, a sledge hammer's unnecessary; by the time you're at the point when it's needed, nothing's left of the car to 'fix.'. :LOL:

CaptDan

captdan said:
I'm not familiar with the Rosetta. But - assuming its connections are - say - ADAT:

Rosetta's ADAT outs are physically patched to the DM's ADAT-ins. Those inputs are routed in the DM - (via: Routing/Input/Insert/Terminal Select-ADAT##) to DM Stereo Out. This assumes that you've chosen the DM's Stereo Bus as the final output back to Cubase. You can, instead, choose a stereo bus or - perhaps - two other stereo channels as the destination, but I'm not really savvy on that option, and how to monitor the results without getting a feedback loop.

In any event, the same patching method would apply for any other input format - TDIF, analog (Assign - send/return), SPDIF (#1 or #2), etc.

Disclaimer: I hope I didn't leave something out; if so, Jarno will correct me, I hope. :)

CaptDan

Thanks Capt

The way I have it set up now is I have the XLR stereo outs of the DM3200 going into the analog XLR stereo inputs of the Rosetta 200. I am coming out of the Rosetta via S/PIDIF into the DM3200 D-IN 1. I then route D-IN 1 (left/right) to the DM3200 channels 29 & 30. I master in Wavelab from channels 29 & 30 which are not assigned to the stereo bus because it would loop back as you say BUT, I monitor what's passing through the Rosetta from the DM3200 monitor section by pressing the SEL 2 (D-IN 1) button.

It seems to work just fine and I get great results but I was never sure if this was "best practice". The reason I come out of the DM3200 via analog and back into the Rosetta's analog inputs is so I can get Rosetta's A/D conversion as I really like the sound of the Rosetta's conversion.

....soo i think i can use this rounting same to my Protools?? I wanna process it by finalizer and come back in to dm...i think i can use only adat?? and for rec in protolls my master?

ADAT or S/PIDIF yeah. I just don't know what the pros and cons are for either but for your application, that should do the job (assuming my described method is sane).

cmaffia said:
Apogee’s “Aptomizer”.
OMG! John Apogee has created his own sexy term for something known as "normalisation" and found on every signle DAW starting from the birth of the DAW consept.
Which they have licensed to almost every plugin and/or DAW manufacturer (including Steinberg, Waves, etc).
Sample Rate Conversion
No matter how good realtime SRC they have implemented, you would get better SRC using high-quality (even free, like SoX) offline tools. If you don't believe me, ask Harry Nyquist's or Claude Shannon's opinion ... oh wait ... you can't ask them anymore.

Anyway ... if you want to use your Rosetta for mastering even though there are equivalent (or better) tools inside your Cubase and/or freely available, you should definitely connect it with digital I/O:
1. Choose ADAT or AES I/O and hoo it up to your DM using the one you selected.
2. Create insert routing for your chosen connection in DM's ROUTING/INSER and assign this this insert to STEREO.
3. Route STEREO back to youd DAW and record the result.

captdan said:
Depends on the car. If it's a Yugo, a sledge hammer's unnecessary; by the time you're at the point when it's needed, nothing's left of the car to 'fix.'. :LOL:
Maybe true for a Yugo ... But I used to own a Talbot Horizon (known as Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon in the US), with which bigger the hammer, better the results.

Jarno said:
cmaffia said:
Apogee’s “Aptomizer”.
OMG! John Apogee has created his own sexy term for something known as "normalisation" and found on every signle DAW starting from the birth of the DAW consept.
Which they have licensed to almost every plugin and/or DAW manufacturer (including Steinberg, Waves, etc).
Sample Rate Conversion
No matter how good realtime SRC they have implemented, you would get better SRC using high-quality (even free, like SoX) offline tools. If you don't believe me, ask Harry Nyquist's or Claude Shannon's opinion ... oh wait ... you can't ask them anymore.

Anyway ... if you want to use your Rosetta for mastering even though there are equivalent (or better) tools inside your Cubase and/or freely available, you should definitely connect it with digital I/O:
1. Choose ADAT or AES I/O and hoo it up to your DM using the one you selected.
2. Create insert routing for your chosen connection in DM's ROUTING/INSER and assign this this insert to STEREO.
3. Route STEREO back to youd DAW and record the result.

Thanks for the tip Jarno. I never used the soft inserts before so my head is swimming and to be honest I've read your directions its a bit confusing to me at the moment but I'll give it a shot ..ACCK!!

For what it's worth....I've yet to pump up my RMS using Cubase alone like I can with the Rosetta without colorization or distortion.

I used to own a Talbot Horizon (known as Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon in the US), with which bigger the hammer, better the results

Yes - a finely crafted auto indeed, sir. :cool:

Rather than rely on manufacturer hype to determine car viability, I use the following equation:

G = [inv]/P:BFIJY

Translated:

Good is inversely proportional to brands found in junk yards. :twisted:

I suppose the same formula could be applied to audio gear as well. :eek:

CaptDan

OK well after nearly blowing out my ears and my monitors in what was an obvious audio loop feedback, I can definitely confirm without a doubt that I have NO idea how to user the INSERT ROUTING feature :). I'll try again this weekend when I am not so disgruntled LOL.

cmaffia said:
I have NO idea how to user the INSERT ROUTING feature :).
Look at the following pictrue:
ins3.gif

* On S/R TARGET, SEND and RETURN columns choose where your equipment is connected to (3/4)
* On MODULE column choose where you want to insert your device (5).
* Finally switch insert ON (6)

In this example a device connected to ASN SEND/RETURN 1&2 is inserted to signal paths of DM's channels 1 & 2.

New threads

Members online