EX.Out TC ELECTRONICS AND DM3200

Jarno, If I were to hook up my Rosetta via ADAT to the DM3200 (both ADAT IN/OUT I presume?) and I wanted my stereo mix which comes in on firwire channels 32 & 33 from Cubase, then insert routing would be:

Module Send Return
CH32 ADAT 1 OUT ADAT 1 IN
CH33 ADAT 2 OUT ADAT 2 IN

Is that correct? If I do connect via ADAT IN/OUT then does that mean there is no conversion?

Thanks again Master Yoda!!

no..no :(...i ve try by adat to connected my FINALIZER on PT, but dont work :( help me please with a routing....

anyone ?

Hey , i ve try again to set my Finaizer to DM3200 but i ve hear onlt a larsen dam... can anyone help me for right setup?? i ve try by adat and by tdif with patchbay but nothing :(( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I really wish I could help you with this. But I'm quite confused by your description; words like 'larsen dam' are difficult to interpret.

Rather than take wild guesses advising you on various routing solutions, I'd like to ask you a question: what is it you like about the Finalizer? How have you used it in the past? Is it better than plugins of similar type? Do you firmly believe that outboard processing - although digital - is worth the effort and risk of adding more to the signal chain than internal DSP would provide?

I'm just curious about this. I realize many people master their mixes through various outboard processors - from cheap tube pre amps to very costly 'Danger' boxes which allegedly impart 'analog' quality to the signal.

Sorry for the digression. As I say, I'm just curious.

CaptDan

well thx capt for answering, i ve listening some mastering from finalizer, and i like a imprint of this outboard make it ..like deep and open sound, ive tr also a mastering plugin but..... well dont like it :)) soo when im talking about lasrsen i mean thta ive used my finalizer by analog connection, and output from dm and output from tc its same if selected a stereo output.... sorry for my english...soo my question its i ve in protools my bounce track, i wanna put inside my finalizer and go back recording in my protools ...how can i do without listening larsen?

ive used my finalizer by analog connection, and output from dm and output from tc its same if selected a stereo output.... sorry for my english...soo my question its i ve in protools my bounce track, i wanna put inside my finalizer and go back recording in my protools ...how can i do without listening larsen?

So - if I understand this - you want to insert your Finalizer into ProTools stereo mix channel as you bounce it to disc. Is that right? In otherwords, you wish to use it as a digital connection rather than analog - which requires two conversions.

If this is correct, you can do it this way:

Connect your Finalizer to the Stereo Output's AES/EBU digital connections on the DM. Bring the Finalizer's output back to the DM with SPDIF. Assign that connection to a pair of Stereo DM channels - say 31/32. Using the Input-Bypass routing, assign channels 31/32 to OutPut Slot 31/32. Then, in Protools Stereo Mix track, assign its Input to receive DM's channels 31/32. Then, assign Protools Stereo Mix
to another pair of DM faders so you can monitor the results.

Be SURE to Unassign the DM's stereo bus or you'll get a feedback loop.

Caution: I've never done this so there's some guesswork here. I may've made an error in the routing scheme, or perhaps, there's a better way to do this. I hope someone else is reading to correct me if that's the case.

CaptDan

welll not really only protools , i wanna dedicated a output and insert (hardware) only for finalizer soo i can use with everthing daw...

captdan said:
ive used my finalizer by analog connection, and output from dm and output from tc its same if selected a stereo output.... sorry for my english...soo my question its i ve in protools my bounce track, i wanna put inside my finalizer and go back recording in my protools ...how can i do without listening larsen?

So - if I understand this - you want to insert your Finalizer into ProTools stereo mix channel as you bounce it to disc. Is that right? In otherwords, you wish to use it as a digital connection rather than analog - which requires two conversions.

If this is correct, you can do it this way:

Connect your Finalizer to the Stereo Output's AES/EBU digital connections on the DM. Bring the Finalizer's output back to the DM with SPDIF. Assign that connection to a pair of Stereo DM channels - say 31/32. Using the Input-Bypass routing, assign channels 31/32 to OutPut Slot 31/32. Then, in Protools Stereo Mix track, assign its Input to receive DM's channels 31/32. Then, assign Protools Stereo Mix
to another pair of DM faders so you can monitor the results.

Be SURE to Unassign the DM's stereo bus or you'll get a feedback loop.

Caution: I've never done this so there's some guesswork here. I may've made an error in the routing scheme, or perhaps, there's a better way to do this. I hope someone else is reading to correct me if that's the case.

CaptDan

Hey Capt i ve try now but i can use my finalizer by adat? i ve try a setup that u give me but dont work.....:(

You guys are confusing me!

Easy way.
You can create an insert using Digital 1 in and out and insert the Finalizer on the Stereo Mix. I do this with a Cranesong Hedd - make sure to turn the insert ON!

Or for mixing and A/B ing the Finalized and not Finalized Mixes, you could

Connect Finalizer on Digital 1 in and out.

Output Page - Stereo Mix goes to Digital 1 out. (Goes to the Finalizer.)

Output Slot Page - using INPUT BYPASS
Digital 1 in (back from the Finalizer) > Firewire Card 31/32
Stereo Mix > Firewire Card 29/30

Monitor Screen
Firewire 31/32 > Sel 4
Firewire 29/30 > Sel 5
Make sure Finalizer is set at 100% effects.

This was you can record a Finalized Mix on 31/32 and listen back to it on Sel 4.
And a NOT Finalized Mix on 29/30 and listen back on Sel 5, compare them by punching the Sel 4 and 5 buttons.

Personally though, I would mix without the Finalizer, leaving a decent amount of headroom, and apply "Finalizing" as a separate process. It's called "Mastering." ;)

Best -

You could use any of the digital in and outs this way, AES or spdif. But use Digital 1 in and Digital 1 out as a pair, or Digital 2 in and Digital 2 out as a pair. Don't mix and match between Digital 1 and 2, or between the XLR (AES) and RCA (spdif) connectors, you don't need to do this and you'll just confuse yourself.

wowo thx Miho... yeeee i m just confusing myself, and sorry Capt...;).... later i try this setup and i let u know... thxxxxx :) and happy new year :)

Will Miho said:
You guys are confusing me!

Easy way.
You can create an insert using Digital 1 in and out and insert the Finalizer on the Stereo Mix. I do this with a Cranesong Hedd - make sure to turn the insert ON!

Or for mixing and A/B ing the Finalized and not Finalized Mixes, you could

Connect Finalizer on Digital 1 in and out.

Output Page - Stereo Mix goes to Digital 1 out. (Goes to the Finalizer.)

Output Slot Page - using INPUT BYPASS
Digital 1 in (back from the Finalizer) > Firewire Card 31/32
Stereo Mix > Firewire Card 29/30

Monitor Screen
Firewire 31/32 > Sel 4
Firewire 29/30 > Sel 5
Make sure Finalizer is set at 100% effects.

This was you can record a Finalized Mix on 31/32 and listen back to it on Sel 4.
And a NOT Finalized Mix on 29/30 and listen back on Sel 5, compare them by punching the Sel 4 and 5 buttons.

Personally though, I would mix without the Finalizer, leaving a decent amount of headroom, and apply "Finalizing" as a separate process. It's called "Mastering." ;)

Best -

NO NO NO :( DONT WORK ...DAMMMM ye i wanna use this finalizer like external mastering processor... i wanna use it like standalone... and of course on protools but only for mastering... its connected with adat in and out,,,and where i need to send stereo mix from dm to finalizer???? i m crazzyyyy for this rounting

Dude. 4 pages of people trying to help you, and you're still "Craaaazy?" It's your setup, and nobody knows how you have it set up except you. The DM3200 is a big patchbay, when you use the "Input Bypass" option you can basically route anything to anywhere. So if you know how to use a patchbay you can figure it out.
Go to the routing pages. If your stereo mix is on FW 29/30, use the "Input bypass" option and route that to the ADAT out. Then route the ADAT in using "Input Bypass" back to the DAW on FW 31/32, on the output slot routing page. You have to know which slot you have the FW card in. You also need to route the ADAT in to a Monitor select button so you can hear what you are doing.
But for what you are doing, Stereo Mastering, why ADAT connections? I would use the AES Connections on the Finalizer, not ADAT. AES has embedded word clock, so that removes a potential sync problem. They're the ones that look like XLR's and say "Digital" - you know?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.