Finding correct headphones for Tascam 2x2HR USB

BMills

Hello,
I have a Tascam US-2x2HR USB audio interface connected to my imac.

With either of my Sony Headphones (detailed below), the sound is fine up to a certain level. But, as the work day progresses, I find myself inching up the volume. Eventually it gets to a place where the sound is distorted. Maybe 3/4 of the way on the dial. Overmodulated? Not sure how to articulate it. But, backing off the volume fixes it.

I’m included the headphone out specs on the Tascam below too.

Anyways, my question is: If I were to try the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones as a solution, which Ohm model should I try: 32, 80, or 250?

At first I thought 32, thinking that if I used less power from the Tascam it would distort less. But, then I thought maybe I was having the opposite problem. IE. The tascam was too powerful for my current headphones and I needed something like the 80.

Thanks for your time,

Bobby

TASCAM INTERFACE:

6.3mm(1/4") stereo phone jack

Maximum output level

18mW+18mW or more

(THD+N 0.1% or less, 32ohms loaded)

Output impedance

66ohms

Working impedance

16ohms to 250ohms

Sony MDR-V6 Headphones (1):

Impedance

63 ohms at 1 kHz

Sensitivity

106 dB/mW

Noise Cancelling Sony Headphone (2):

47 ohm

104.5 dB / mW (when powered on), 95.69 dB/mW SPL (when off)

The 32 or 80 ohm headphones should work fine, maybe the 250 up to a point but may need a headphone amp. Your 47 and 63 ohmers should be plenty loud enough - with no distortion.
Does your US-2x2HR have a Settings Panel, or other piece of software where you can adjust the output volumes? If they're maxed out you could try cutting them back a little. Might help.. dunno.

If you keep working like that you will risk hearing damage from high SPL directly into your ears.

New threads

Members online