Foot switch

Your owner manual identifies the correct footswitch. It's also been discussed in numerous prior footswitch threads/posts in this forum.

If you're looking for alternative footswitch suggestions, pros & cons, etc., that too can be found in prior forum footswitch threads/posts.

A forum search on "footswitch" is sure to locate the relevant threads and posts.

If you're unsure how to search the forum, the instructions are in the "read this first" sticky thread, post #2.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct
"what foot switches can be used with DP-24SD?"

The 3 button, Tascam RC-3F footswitch works with the DP-03SD, and up to the DP-24 and DP-32 track machines.
It has the very delicate 1/16" input cable, which will bend if you look at it sideways (based upon reviews on YouTube).

EDIT: RC-3F, not "DP"

Last edited:
Tascam DP-3F footswitch
There's no "Tascam DP-3F" footswitch for the DP-24/32/SD portastudios.

As I wrote in post #2 above, the correct footswitch model number can be found in the DP-24SD owner manual and in the several prior threads/posts in this forum that discuss the footswitch.

Those threads/posts also address the pros & cons of the footswitch and its 2.5mm cable plug.

Last edited:
I'll add my vote for the RC-3F footswitch - yes, it does have a ridiculously delicate cable and teeny plug...I'm also not crazy about the fact that it requires 2 AAA batteries.

BUT - it is ridiculously functional. In my case (original version DP-32) the pedal can be configured in any of dozens of ways, so that the 3 switches are arranged to suit your workflow. I find this INCREDIBLY useful, as my 2488neo can only accomodate a one-pedal footswitch and can only punch in/punch out...but on the RC-3F, any of the 3 switches can be assigned within the DP for FF and/or REW; play/stop; punch in/out; jump back to last play point; all sorts of stuff.

I have found this invaluable when I'm trying to record a part/passage, and having to make a bunch of takes to get it to come out right...I simply hit play; punch in at the right time; perform the part; and stop. If I don't like the take: one switch puts me back at the point I last started at; another one starts playback; the 3rd one punches me in/out. It works so good it's stewpyd - and has saved me a TON of time & frustration. Money VERY well spent - I'd consider it a must-have accessory for DP owners!

Last edited:
purchased the footpedal----works wonderfully. thanks all

I have found this invaluable when I'm trying to record a part/passage, and having to make a bunch of takes to get it to come out right...I simply hit play; punch in at the right time; perform the part; and stop. If I don't like the take: one switch puts me back at the point I last started at; another one starts playback; the 3rd one punches me in/out. It works so good it's stewpyd - and has saved me a TON of time & frustration. Money VERY well spent - I'd consider it a must-have accessory for DP owners!

Thanks shredd -- good info! -- would you mind confirming which way the 3 buttons on the pedal are configured to do what you mention above? It sounds like there are also several other buttons on the DP itself being pressed; that's what has me a little confused...

I have not gotten the pedal yet, and your use of it has me greatly interested.

Old No7

Thanks shredd -- good info! -- would you mind confirming which way the 3 buttons on the pedal are configured to do what you mention above? It sounds like there are also several other buttons on the DP itself being pressed; that's what has me a little confused...

I have not gotten the pedal yet, and your use of it has me greatly interested.

Congrats '7 - I hope it serves you as well as it has me. I've only had it a few months, and am totally gobsmacked at how much it smoothed/enabled my workflow. Worth it at twice the price!!!

ANYway. There are NO buttons or switches on the RC-3F, other than the pedals themselves. The whole configure-the-pedals thing is in the "Preferences" panel of your DP's Menu; there's entries for Footswitch Right, Center, and Left, with a menu of choices under each.

I normally don't reference the user manual, as the DP (mine, anyway) came with what is possibly the worst-written/least user-friendly manual since NASA wrote one for the Space Shuttle.
BUT I believe you'll find a nice little chart there (which I can't post, cuz I'm too stewpyd to figure out how to post images). It's on page 49 of my DP-32's book, under the "Recorder Functions" section, and titled "Setting The Footswitch".

By FAR the kewl-est thing about this footswitch is that, besides the expanded functions it's capable of, ALL THREE pedals are capable of being assigned ANY of the functions on the list - so it's TOTALLY customizable to your preferences/workflow/habits.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks for the reply.
I normally don't reference the user manual, as the DP (mine, anyway) came with what is possibly the worst-written/least user-friendly manual since NASA wrote one for the Space Shuttle.

LOL! True enough... That's why I bought the one by Phil Tipping and have watched his very informative videos on youtube.

Old No7

---
LOL! True enough... That's why I bought the one by Phil Tipping and have watched his very informative videos on youtube.
You said it. PT's stuff is GREAT - even the ytubes taught me more at one watching than in WEEKS of digging through the "manual" - and I should've been an instant expert, as I've recorded on a 2488neo for about 15 years!!!

PROPS TO PHIL T - the MASTER!!!

Your owner manual identifies the correct footswitch. It's also been discussed in numerous prior footswitch threads/posts in this forum.

If you're looking for alternative footswitch suggestions, pros & cons, etc., that too can be found in prior forum footswitch threads/posts.

A forum search on "footswitch" is sure to locate the relevant threads and posts.

If you're unsure how to search the forum, the instructions are in the "read this first" sticky thread, post #2.;)

Mark , I understand your logic in training people to search this forum for what they are after .....
BUT you wrote 4 paragraphs where you could've just written 'RC-3F ' hehe.
I love your stuff mate I really do but this struck me as funny and worth mentioning.
I jest just to niggle you , I've been away for a while . No hurt intended .

New threads

Members online