From 2488 to Model 12

Manslick

From
Louisville
Gear owned
I have the original 2488 from 2004 or there about.

Been looking at the Model 12 and like its interface features.

Is the model 12 as a stand alone, close enough in operation for studio recording to the 2488 to prevent culture shock?

Really been wanting a unit with 8 XLR inputs and love the 2488 preamps.

Hoping to be able to interface straight into reason.

See the "Basic Facts" sticky thread pinned in the shaded area at the top of this forum.

It has a detailed feature comparison of the Model 12/16/24 series to the portastudio series (2488, DP-24/32/SD)

The sticky also describes the stand-alone portastudio's advantages over the 12/16/24 as a full production tool.

Last edited:
Short answer is that you cannot do real editing on a Model 12. But you can record and mixdown/bounce tracks to create a song. And it sounds phenomenal.

See the "Basic Facts" sticky thread pinned in the shaded area at the top of this forum.
Hi Mark.
Yes I looked there and I got the basics.
It says there to post specific questions in the general forum.
I thought this was the general forum.

Short answer is that you cannot do real editing on a Model 12. But you can record and mixdown/bounce tracks to create a song. And it sounds phenomenal.
Hey JSchmo, yea that is an issue with the 2488 too.
So I'm thinking I can use Reason as the editor.
Thanks,

The Digital Portastudio is closer to the 2488 than any of the Model series.

Reactions: Manslick
Agree with MJK. do a careful comparison of the DP24D vs the Model 12 before buying. There are Pros and cons to each. Your use cases will determine which is best for you.

Thanks guys. Knowing the Model 12 is essentially a USB interface I think this will do for my needs.

Is the model 12 as a stand alone, close enough in operation for studio recording to the 2488 to prevent culture shock?

The Model 12 is very far away from any of the previous recorders. Yes, it has a USB interface, but the workflow on it is so different that you can't (for example) directly bounce tracks. You have to use patch cables. Also FX and Dynamics applications are completely different and mixing as well. You indicated that you wanted something close in operation to the 2488 and the Model series are not that. There are quite a good number of user videos that are posted on the video topic. I suggest that you go through those and make sure it does want you need.

For me the Model 12 is a high quality and portable 10 track recorder and digital mixer. I love it for its form factor and usabilty for live situations on the go when I am both playing my instrument and acting as the “sound guy”.

the truth is the DP24 actually does all the same things, AND it does a lot more. But it’s UX and “feel” is more suitable to sitting down in front of it like a console— as fixed “heart of a pocket studio” type use case.

Reactions: -mjk- and Manslick
The Model 12 is very far away from any of the previous recorders. Yes, it has a USB interface, but the workflow on it is so different that you can't (for example) directly bounce tracks. You have to use patch cables. Also FX and Dynamics applications are completely different and mixing as well. You indicated that you wanted something close in operation to the 2488 and the Model series are not that. There are quite a good number of user videos that are posted on the video topic. I suggest that you go through those and make sure it does want you need.
I have gone thru the videos and from that I took the M12 would function well as a USB interface. What I did not take away from the vids was how it compares to the 2488 (which is not what the vids are for) so I came here to inquire. I'm pretty confident the M12 will suite my needs.
Thanks for the support.

Reactions: -mjk-
For me the Model 12 is a high quality and portable 10 track recorder and digital mixer. I love it for its form factor and usability for live situations on the go when I am both playing my instrument and acting as the “sound guy”.

the truth is the DP24 actually does all the same things, AND it does a lot more. But it’s UX and “feel” is more suitable to sitting down in front of it like a console— as fixed “heart of a pocket studio” type use case.

It is sexy looking. I expect the preamps are so good as the 2488.

New threads

Members online