FW-1884 Firewire not lighting up

Kookoz

Gear owned
FW-1884
Hello,

I have been using my FW-1884 happily for a bunch of years. I have already once replaced the FW chip after burning it. I recently hit the same symptoms again but I am not sure if the chip has burnt this time, or if I am missing something:
  • The stop led is lit
  • The FW light is unlit
  • Everything functions normally except the Firewire connection
  • I'm using the same cables and FW card on computer
  • I tried another Firewire audio interface with the same cable and card and it connects
  • I'm running Windows 10 V19041.508
  • My Firewire card has a TI chip and worked before
  • I have installed the legacy drivers for the firewire card
  • I have tried opening the SoftLCD before powering the FW-1884
  • It is possible that I have inserted the Firewire cable the wrong way around, however everything other than FW still work

I really wish to be able to keep using the unit.

Could anybody help me with this?

The gap in the sheild of the Firewire connection will be spread apart if you plugged in the cable wrong.

Thanks, to be more specific I am sure the cable has been inserted wrong way around at some point (not sure if that was me or the previous owner) - the connector has the gap you mentioned.

When the Firewire cable is plugged in upside down, more than just the Firewire IC is damaged. At least two resistors get damaged.

How can I tell if that is the case? Everything seems to work normally except the firewire connection.

It is possible that the cable had been plugged the wrong way by a previous owner. I don't remember if the ports were like that when I bought the unit.

You would have to take the cover off the bottom and looking the area around U9. The resistors are 56 ohm surface mount type, and usually look burnt if you compare than to adjacent ones. I think they are R55 and R56. If they are damaged the cable was plugged in upside done, and that damaged U9 the Firewire comm. IC.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.