Guitars, Strings, Playability, Feeling, and Sound

skier

Soundaholic
From
Connecticut, USA
Gear owned
Tascam DM4800, PT 12
Very, very recently (today), a friend engaged me in a discussion of guitar strings and his recent experimentation regarding string size preferences and what he’s feeling about it. I thought it might be both interesting and that we can learn something from the experiences of forum members.

Having played guitar for many years, I’ve tried all sorts of things from pickup changes, designing and building several guitars, many different circuit designs to have many different sounds available, different tunings, etc. With string sizes, there are also many opinions espoused regarding tone, feel, playability, buzz avoidance, etc., etc., etc. For size, I’ve tried from .007s to .013s, various manufacturers, round-wound, flat-wound, half-wound, steel, bronze, nylon, coated – the list goes on and on and on.

So, what have I learned? On my electrics, I’ve settled on flat-wound, .009, steel strings with nickel plating. The manufacturer hasn’t make much of a difference to me as long as they are quality strings. On acoustic, I found that everything mattered. Bronze sounds different than steel, and of course much different than nylon. The top wood makes a quite a difference, the fretboard, less so, at least for me. HOWEVER, on electric, the string type and size make a big difference, especially in playability, but the guitar wood, much less so, same with the nut whether bone or some plastic. I believe that’s because, on an acoustic, unless the guitar is amplified, the sound is the sound and the strings, wood, and size truly determine that. But on an electric, not only the strings, but the pickups make an even bigger difference; the ability to shape the tone with bass, middle, and treble controls make an even bigger difference; the ability to add reverb, delay, chorus, etc., makes an even bigger difference still, and the use of distortion swamps the entire sound even more.

So, it’d be interesting to hear from other guitarists. What are the biggest differences you hear? What are your preferences in string types and sizes? We never know what others hear, or what they think they hear, and the same is true about ourselves.

Thanks!

You don’t want to descend down the rabbit hole that is bass guitar strings.! Not only are there tonal difference, but string construction makes a pretty huge difference in the physicality of how one plays...

I put .008s on my Epiphone Melody Maker and Brian May guitars. Huge difference in mids and tops. Cut some tracks and was duly impressed. I was using .010s previously.

You don’t want to descend down the rabbit hole that is bass guitar strings.! Not only are there tonal difference, but string construction makes a pretty huge difference in the physicality of how one plays...

different string types is the reason I've ended up with nine basses !

Gotta have a P with flats because,well, because.

Gotta have a P with rounds for rock.

same with Jazz basses, plus a fretless.

Only one Hofner though.....

I put .008s on my Epiphone Melody Maker and Brian May guitars. Huge difference in mids and tops. Cut some tracks and was duly impressed. I was using .010s previously.

I ordered a couple sets of .09s because of the Beato video. I have been using .010s as well.

FP

Reactions: -mjk-
Great - thanks for the comments!

I had watched this Rick Beato video before and many others of his - I generally like them. However, in this case, I feel he conducted a poor study by using distortion on the guitar with no playing/recording of clean strings. Distortion hides more of the natural sound than any other effect. Think about it: they took pains to record everything flat with no boosts or cuts across the frequency range; they used standard mics most often used for guitar cabs, an SM-57 and a Royer ribbon, they used a very common Marshall cab with 75W Celestions which we all know well, yet they only recorded signal with distortion. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a blues and rock player, so I love distortion, and in varying amounts depending if I’m just adding a bit a grunge or laying it on for heavy rock. But I would have very much liked to also hear the string sounds clean.

All that said, I found the differences to be subtle, which is actually a good thing for those of us who prefer to use light strings and not compromise the sound. To my ears, heavier strings sound slightly better, but they risk faster hand fatigue and even muscle damage when you’re playing barr chords on heavy strings, such as .012s and .013s. You can see how huge the veins in SRV’s forearms had become when you watch a video of his playing. He was really working with those huge strings when he played, especially as hard and fast as he did.

I’ve been playing .009s now for over 20 years, and for me, they feel about right for leads, chords, and bends to about 1 ½ steps. .009s break on me once in a while, but not too often. And I lose the B strings at .011 about a third of the time as the E. the Gs and bigger never break.

Reactions: Arjan P

Man @JSchmo_Bass, I have to agree with you there. I play bass and use flatwound .045 - 105s. I play with three fingers on a Fender Jazz that I've had many years. I tried roundwounds once, but hated them and can always tell the difference from my own bass when I play some other - much more noticeable than with guitars. What bass and strings do you play and which musical styles?

Reactions: -mjk- and Freebird
I am looking forward to trying the .09s. I agree, I think the difference being subtle is the point. I used to buy into the heavier strings/better tone thing. At one point I used to play live with 14/14/17/32/42/52. That was silly.

FP

MJ, you really hear huge differences? Maybe my hearing took a much bigger hit from all those loud gigs than I realized. (Or is it using the vacuum here at home? I'm telling my GF that the vacuum is hurting my hearing and that I can't do it anymore.)

Reactions: -mjk-
different string types is the reason I've ended up with nine basses !

Gotta have a P with flats because,well, because.

Gotta have a P with rounds for rock.

same with Jazz basses, plus a fretless.

Only one Hofner though.....

NINE??? SHEESH! I'm feeling like a beginner.

He... how to comment on the most "SUBJECTIVE" matter in history! :):rolleyes:

I have tried almost every possible string gauge for guitar there is...

And my conclusions are as follows:

For my "Gibson Humbucker Style" guitars I prefer "lighter gauge strings" since it tends to produce more of an "even sound"... meaning less difference between the lower and higher strings. What I mean is that to "FAT"/Thicker strings on the lower strings ALWAYS tend to be to much increase in the "Bassy/Muddier" frequencies than when using lighter string gauge!

On my "Fender/Single Coil" guitars... to me... it's the OPPOSITE!

It seems... to me... that the "Humbuckers" & the "Single coils", react totally different to string gauge!

The "wood underneath" the strings (The Body... or the wood in the the fingerboard) play minor or NO role at all!

For a typically "Gibson/Humbucker" guitar I prefer a more "even" string gauge... like... 09-42 or 09-40. In my "pre lawsuit Ibanez SG Custom" from 1974, who have REALLY LOW frets... I prefer as "tiny strings" as you can get = 09-40 or even 08-38 since that makes you play a certain way!

It almost make you feel like playing... Well.. .NOTHING!

Compare that to my "Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature" Stratocaster with TALL frets & Texas Special Pickups... that really BEGS to have more "heavier string gauge"!

So... To ME... it all depends of what kind of "style" you are playing... or what kind of VOLUME you are playing at. OR what kind of SONG you are playing to!

For example:

A country song: I use heavier strings to get that "twangy country" feeling.

A Classic Rock song: A "little bit of "Lower string gauge to get the "midrange" to "stand out" in the mix.

A "Southern Style Rock Song": (my personal favourite by the way) I prefer a "midrange boost" type of 09/08 - 40-38 gauge strings to get the right "midrange feeling".

Or as I have done on couple of my guitars... soldering on a "treble boost" to get that "midrange "boost" into some songs or "riffs" that needs it.

And above that... if I want to play "Slide/Bottleneck"...

I would DEFINITELY use heavier string gauge!

Beside those examples... Any string gauge of OVER: 010-42... is definitely "over the top"!

Actually I have a couple of string sets from "Billy Gibbons Signature Strings"... that starts at 07 at the thinnish string.

And I can't wait to see what that one can do for me!:geek::):D

Beyond that... for practice I ALWAYS use heaver strings since it forces you too "make more of an effort" to make your "chops" work... than if you have a lighter string gauge to begin with,. Witch in turn makes your hand & arm muscles to grow harder and stronger... which in turn makes it's more effortless to perform "in live", than if you "practice without any strain" when you practice!

As I said in the beginning... It's all SUBJECTIVE!

Regarding "wound/unwound strings".... I have actually never tried "unwound strings"... so I can't really tell about those.

But I do have a Fender Precision Bass that have "unwound strings" dating back to "Jurassic Area"... like the early 70's... I think... and they still sound GREAT when I record it!

From my own "subjective" point of view...

I think that the video from Rick Beato tells a LOT about how the "precipitated" or "prejudice" mind works...

Do NOT believe what other people tells you... believe your own ears!

That is the ONLY thing that REALLY matter/counts... at least to me!

What other people thinks/feels is SECONDARY! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and skier
I'm telling my GF that the vacuum is hurting my hearing and that I can't do it anymore.
That's always worth a try :D Too bad ironing makes no sound...

Reactions: -mjk- and skier
I am looking forward to trying the .09s. I agree, I think the difference being subtle is the point. I used to buy into the heavier strings/better tone thing. At one point I used to play live with 14/14/17/32/42/52. That was silly.FP

Wow! I never heard of .014s - that must be hard on the fingers. I will admit that when played clean, heavier strings do seem to sound better. I can only presume it's because we hear more in the bottom end. But once I start adding effects, I really can't say that I hear as much of a difference in the sound. Most of what I hear in anyone's playing, including my own, is our individual technique. For example, Jeff Beck always sounds like Jeff Beck.... and I never do...

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
He... how to comment on the most "SUBJECTIVE" matter in history! :):rolleyes:

I have tried almost every possible string gauge for guitar there is...

And my conclusions are as follows:

For my "Gibson Humbucker Style" guitars I prefer "lighter gauge strings" since it tends to produce more of an "even sound"... meaning less difference between the lower and higher strings. What I mean is that to "FAT"/Thicker strings on the lower strings ALWAYS tend to be to much increase in the "Bassy/Muddier" frequencies than when using lighter string gauge!

On my "Fender/Single Coil" guitars... to me... it's the OPPOSITE!

It seems... to me... that the "Humbuckers" & the "Single coils", react totally different to string gauge!

The "wood underneath" the strings (The Body... or the wood in the the fingerboard) play minor or NO role at all!

For a typically "Gibson/Humbucker" guitar I prefer a more "even" string gauge... like... 09-42 or 09-40. In my "pre lawsuit Ibanez SG Custom" from 1974, who have REALLY LOW frets... I prefer as "tiny strings" as you can get = 09-40 or even 08-38 since that makes you play a certain way!

It almost make you feel like playing... Well.. .NOTHING!

Compare that to my "Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature" Stratocaster with TALL frets & Texas Special Pickups... that really BEGS to have more "heavier string gauge"!

So... To ME... it all depends of what kind of "style" you are playing... or what kind of VOLUME you are playing at. OR what kind of SONG you are playing to!

For example:

A country song: I use heavier strings to get that "twangy country" feeling.

A Classic Rock song: A "little bit of "Lower string gauge to get the "midrange" to "stand out" in the mix.

A "Southern Style Rock Song": (my personal favourite by the way) I prefer a "midrange boost" type of 09/08 - 40-38 gauge strings to get the right "midrange feeling".

Or as I have done on couple of my guitars... soldering on a "treble boost" to get that "midrange "boost" into some songs or "riffs" that needs it.

And above that... if I want to play "Slide/Bottleneck"...

I would DEFINITELY use heavier string gauge!

Beside those examples... Any string gauge of OVER: 010-42... is definitely "over the top"!

Actually I have a couple of string sets from "Billy Gibbons Signature Strings"... that starts at 07 at the thinnish string.

And I can't wait to see what that one can do for me!:geek::):D

Beyond that... for practice I ALWAYS use heaver strings since it forces you too "make more of an effort" to make your "chops" work... than if you have a lighter string gauge to begin with,. Witch in turn makes your hand & arm muscles to grow harder and stronger... which in turn makes it's more effortless to perform "in live", than if you "practice without any strain" when you practice!

As I said in the beginning... It's all SUBJECTIVE!

Regarding "wound/unwound strings".... I have actually never tried "unwound strings"... so I can't really tell about those.

But I do have a Fender Precision Bass that have "unwound strings" dating back to "Jurassic Area"... like the early 70's... I think... and they still sound GREAT when I record it!

From my own "subjective" point of view...

I think that the video from Rick Beato tells a LOT about how the "precipitated" or "prejudice" mind works...

Do NOT believe what other people tells you... believe your own ears!

That is the ONLY thing that REALLY matter/counts... at least to me!

What other people thinks/feels is SECONDARY! ;)

Hmmm; I need to pay more attention to the string weight combined with whether the pickup is a single or humbucker. I've not heard that observation before, but I think you could be on to something and I've just been oblivious - it seems so obvious.

I have a "big fret" preference. Small, low frets cause me buzz problems; of course, that could mean I sometimes need to strum or pick a little lighter.

I totally agree that it's easy to "think like the group" when our ears should truly be the determiner of the sound - it's so easy to get sucked in to common thought even when we're trying to be objective. To some extent, I believe that means that differences are not as great as we either expect them to be or want them to be. Regardless, only true, raw objectivity tells us the truth.

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
So Bass strings, yeah this is the other Covid deep dive along with recording.

My basic Bass stable is in line with the canonical Fender trinity:

PJ rosewood next with Flats (most played)
PJ maple neck with Rounds
Jazz rosewood neck with Rounds

I won’t allow myself a 4th Bass. I just can’t play enough to justify it and also my wife would kill me. But I have been exploring a variety of strings with each Bass.

Flats for the PJ- have tried LaBella BTF’s, GHS Precision flats, and Settled on GHS Brite Flats. They take a week or so to break in and wear off the coating but then they feel smooth, play well and have a great tone.

Rounds. I have been on a quest here for smooth round wounds with minimal finger noise, warm full tone, and moderately firm give under the right hand. So scrolling thru all the nickel rounds...

The Jazz is currently wearing DR Sunbeams. These have Un-Believably great tone...the best I have ever heard. and they are very smooth. But I can’t play them cleanly in a live setting, they are too flexible for my clumsy technique... I get lots of clack and click. So I am going to try GHS Roundcore Boomers next.

The maple PJ has been oscillating between GHS Pressurewounds and now Balanced Nickels. Both are Very Good...not sure they are “there” as a forever string.

So that’s the quest so far. The Bass that I have recorded so far is mainly the PJ with Brite Flats.

Last edited:
Reactions: skier and -mjk-
MJ, you really hear huge differences? Maybe my hearing took a much bigger hit from all those loud gigs than I realized. (Or is it using the vacuum here at home? I'm telling my GF that the vacuum is hurting my hearing and that I can't do it anymore.)

Yes, I can. Lemme look through my archives and see if I have 2 comparable tracks I can show you.

Reactions: skier
I am looking forward to trying the .09s. I agree, I think the difference being subtle is the point. I used to buy into the heavier strings/better tone thing. At one point I used to play live with 14/14/17/32/42/52. That was silly.

FP

I used .010s on the road in my youth. Testosterone on stage had me pulling the lighter gauge strings right off the neck. I also found that they tuned up better and stayed in tune. For nearly all of those years, I could put my guitar on a stand in the dressing room and the next night it would be still in tune. I also liked the fact that you can really "dig in" with the pick and not detune. Usually a big crashing power chord on the lighter gauges de-tunes it. Of course, that effect is now so iconic that I sometimes do it on purpose, lol.

Reactions: skier
Wow! I never heard of .014s - that must be hard on the fingers. I will admit that when played clean, heavier strings do seem to sound better. I can only presume it's because we hear more in the bottom end. But once I start adding effects, I really can't say that I hear as much of a difference in the sound. Most of what I hear in anyone's playing, including my own, is our individual technique. For example, Jeff Beck always sounds like Jeff Beck.... and I never do...

You've never heard a bright sparkling clean like the Brian May guitar, light gauge strings and a coin. It's unbelievable.

Reactions: Freebird and skier

New threads

Members online