Headphone Adaptor Issues

kingoffools1138

Gear owned
Dp 24sd
Hey guys. I'm new to the Tascam dp 24sd. Ive used other stand alone studios. So not fully new.
I'm having an issue with sound and sound levels. When recording guitar or vocals. I get a nasty crunch/crackle sound from them both.
With mixer/trim levels set very low so i can almost not hear. The overload light never comes on yet I still get the nastiness.
Im using a Gretsch Electromatic and for vocals is a Sterling Audio st55.
Im at a loss and apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

Hello King -

Welcome to the forum. Many new users of the Tascam DP series multitrack recorders show up here looking for advice to what are - 99.999% of the time - issues that have simple, straight forward solutions. These are often solved once a few simple criteria are met. Some of us here have preferred to point folks to satisfying this criteria first before spending time helping with troubleshooting.

Here is what I suggest you start with:

1) Go to the Tascam website and download the latest firmware that is available for your machine. There are instructions on that procedure that come with the firmware package as I recall.

2) Confirm that you are using one of the "approved" SD cards. If not - get an approved card. I believe there is a list at the Tascam website. You can also use the search function here to find info on approved SD cards.

3) After loading the latest firmware - *then* do a full format of your SD card.

(now you've got a solid starting point)

4) At your convenience - go to the sticky thread at the top of this forum titled: DP-24/32SD Tutorial Videos. Take the time to sit through Phil Tipping's *excellent* video tutorial series which are a step-by-step walk through of the many functions and features of the DP series. This is a powerful resource and can be referred back to at your convenience going forward. Keep in mind that Phil is not affiliated with Tascam and did these videos as a sort of public service available to us all. I recommend that you consider sending Phil something ($$) for his efforts as many of us have. He also offers a "guide" to these machines that can be purchased and downloaded. Phil is also an active member of this forum.

5) Reference the several sticky threads at the top of this forum which are also a powerful reference for troubleshooting and great how-to recording advice from other members here who have put a lot of effort into making this trip easier (not to mention more fun!)

Congratulations on your new purchase. These are fantastic recorders. If you're still having trouble after you get through the above steps - come on back and I'm sure somebody here will be able to get you where you need to be.

:)

Last edited:
Thank you. Updated my firmware and still had the problem. With some troubleshooting, i found it was my headphone jack. Replaced the headphones and now I'm amazed at the sound quality.
Thank you again. And rock on!

@kingoffools1138 welcome to the Tascam Forums. Thank you very much for posting a follow-up because it adds to the knowledgebase. Now we can say we've heard that issue too.

i found it was my headphone jack... Replaced the headphones...
Please clarify: was it a problem with your DP-24SD 1/4" headphone monitor jack; or was it your headphone's 1/4" plug that was faulty?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I'm assuming it is my headphone plug. I have a 1/4 adapter connected. With some wiggling it would work fine. I used a different adapter and it works fine.

Hi all since we're talking headphones, I won't start a new thread. I got a new pair of AKG's last week, Large Jack and Mini Adapter. I only have a weak left channel on the Tascam AND the Babyface Pro's larger Jack. Mini Jack adapter works fine on the Babyface, but no minijack on Tascam, so I have TWO adapters into the Tascam, it's like a three foot pole sticking out the front. Is the Stereo wired differently or something or am I?

I took the liberty of creating of the new thread, appropriately titled, and moving these messages over to it. This maintains the forum continuity and helps people find topics.

@Brian Mac V that should not be happening. The adapter should be transparent at all times, But please note that not all adapters and extension cables are created equal. The DP machines are wired standard stereo. Source several adapters from different sources until you find one that works. I even have a 3.5mm extension cable that is wired wrong and cancels a channel!

Please take note of the fact that the mobile phone earbuds world has really muddied the situation. Not all mobile phone manufacturers use the same pinout. Also, a mobile phone earbud is TRRS and not TRS. Your adapter may or may not like the extra ring. Adapters made for mobile earbuds can cause problems.

If you have a favorite pair of headphones that you need to use on the DP, you may want to consider cutting the 3.5 mm plug off and soldering on a 6.5 mm plug.

Last edited:
I'm assuming it is my headphone plug. I have a 1/4 adapter connected. With some wiggling it would work fine. I used a different adapter and it works fine.

Thank you for the clarification. Very glad to hear you're back in business.

Thanks mjk, The 'phones in question have a 6.5 soldered end with a 3.5 adapter. AKG cheapish, but not bad.

A few minutes later;

It's late, but I decided to have another try direct into the Tascam, yep just the left side. I'm bloody going to email AKG tomorrow! Ridiculous.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Brian, I'm a huge fan of AKG. They make incredible products. You're using the headphones with the Tascam without an adapter then?

Reactions: Mark Richards
The 'phones in question have a 6.5 soldered end with a 3.5 adapter. AKG cheapish, but not bad.
Which AKGs are these? I've been using AKG headphones for years and never could find anything cheapish about them...

I try not to make any assumptions, so to be clear:
  • With the AKG headphone's hardwired 6.3mm (1/4") phone plug inserted directly into your DP-24SD monitor headphone jack, and all the portastudio knobs/controls panned/set for stereo L/R output, you hear left channel only in the AKG headphones.
But
  • With the AKG headphone's 6.3mm (1/4") phone plug inserted into the 3.5mm adapter that came with the headphone, and the adapter then plugged into the Babyface 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, you get a full spectrum stereo sound stage.
That's a head scratcher.

I use my 8 year old Austrian built AKG K701 reference cans all the time with my DP-24. Never had an issue, and nothing cheap about the audio or build quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
Hi guys, sorry, busy, Yes a brand new pair of AKG K- 701. I contacted AKG on Monday, they would not speak to me, "This is part of our Professional Range blah blah ", and give me a list of dealers in the UK to contact. I did, no reply yet. When I said "cheapish", I meant relativley, compared to their dearer products. They are lovely cans.

If I plug the cans straight into the Tascam, left channel only. Yes

Mark, glorious Sterero, with the 3.5 Gold adapter. mjk, that was the first thing I did, I thought I was in error. But it happens on the RME's 6.5 socket also.

Last edited:
Hi all, an update and a heads-up if you might be buying AKG701

After much to-ing and fro-ing I sussed the problem last night. I have just emailed AKG PRO (???) who couldn't understand the problem

The post on the 6.5mm soldered end is exactly 0.5 mm too short. Looks like it was specifically designed shorter to play nice with the 3.5mm adapter. So it's not making the second connection

Can't attach a photo so I uploaded to imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/HOcs33s

Hours spent trying to track down the problem on my RME (who I also emailed) and on my Tascam. And about 20 emails and forum posts. Good grief.

Last edited:
Interesting - you would think it's a production fault of some kind.. Did you send that photo to AKG as well? Did they respond?

Hiya Arjan

Yes I did, but only through soundtech.co.uk, they were the only people I could contact regarding the matter. AKG PRO I ask you?

Like I said, I think it was to make it suitable for use with the 3.5mm adapter, they must think that most people will use them in a Laptop

The latest on the story is...I have to cut the soldered end off and replace it! Not a happy bunny.

Still weird - if it was to make the adapter fit, it wouldn't fit any other standard headphones.. AKG do have a contact page, I would still contact them since I'm sure they wanna upkeep their professional reputation..
https://uk.akg.com/support-contact.html

Arjan, that's how I got in touch with them in the first place, they would not speak to me, "That's AKG Pro ", and they gave two contacts in the UK, first one didn't reply to me. Second guys were more helpful but couldnt figure it out!
Try it and see, you'll wish you hadn't!

Anyway, I rang my guitar tech. he's gonna do surgery on them for me.

Reactions: Arjan P
I see.. Well that's quite disappointing, not nearly 'Pro' indeed. At least you have a solution, hope you like the sound when all is said and done.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.