Headphone/line out of DR-40 to old MD 8 track recorder

jubilee

Gear owned
none
Hello all,
New to forum and this is in regards to recording tracks on a DR-40 and then transferring the tracks to an older Yamaha MD8 digital 8 track recorder via headphone/line out of the Dr-40. The MD8 has both XLR and 1/4 line inputs. Will this work ok? Do I just need to use a 1/8" to 1/4" stereo cable and or a 1/8" to XLR Y connector?
I know its a primitive way to go these days but that is what I got to work with. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The specs in the MD8 manual are pretty stingy with information on levels In & Out, but what I can see is that Inputs 1 & 2 are balanced, so you defintiely don't want to use those. Strips 3 - 12 then. You want to split the stereo out of the Tascam's headphones to 2 inputs on the mixer.

The easiest cable for me to find if I didn't already have three or four of them is a stereo 1/8" male on one end and 2 - RCA phono plugs on the other. There's your split, ready for your 2 TR inputs on the MD8. But 2 TR inputs usually don't have independent level controls. In which case I'd go with substituting the RCA phono plugs I just mentioned, with 1/4" male phone plugs (or you can get inline plug adapters - RCA phono female to 1/4" phone male) and use two of your Line In jacks.

Hopefully you can get a decent level with this setup as a line in level arrangement.

Art has a great answer. I'd like to add to be careful with levels - headphone outs should be fine as line inputs, but can be quite hot, so start with a low phones level.

Thank you for your replies. I will hopefully be picking up the DR-40 soon. Planing to do some field recordings and some solo acoustic guitar separately on the DR-40 and then bring them into the MD8 to mix them together then mix down to CD and release it onto cassette. Still tempted to pick up a 4 track cassette again but don't want to deal with old pinch rollers, motors etc. etc.

New threads

Members online