Help model 12 simple usb-interface hell

souk

Gear owned
tascam model 12
Hi - i am new to the model 12 and mine is brand new. but on verge of sending it back and returning to my superb little Edirol. NOT USING MODEL 12 as DAW controller, ONLY AS A/D INTERFACE. (only videos i can find are all on using as a controller.)

SETUP AS USB INTERFACE -
1 - windows 10 laptop (soft synths etc) usb to new Focusright solo then L & R balanced TRS into model12 1&2
2 - Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, USB to Model 12 (all my recordings are on Ableton).
___

ISSUES MODEL12 OUTPUTS:
1 USB out from Model 12 into Macbook pro Ableton Live: SIGNIFICANT NOISE ON BOTH L & R Ableton input channels even with no output level from model 12

2 USB is SWITCHING the L & R panned channel outputs on model12 to opposite R & L channels on Ableton inputs (????????!*%$@#)

3 stereo PLAYBACK from MacBook pro only seems to work in 1 & 2 but i want to route them from Ableton to 9/10 stereo channel to minimise controls and free up 1&2 inputs. (selected output 9/10 in Ableton and deselected 1/2 outputs) 9/10 on model 12 set to PC in - NO AUDIO APPEARS in model12 display!

(all model12 channels switched to sub for monitoring)
___

ISSUES MODEL12 INPUTS:

1 - Using FOCUSRIGHT from windows10 PC in BALANCED TRS jacks (L into 1 and R into 2 as per manual) (the input shows up in channels 1&2 on display. BUT to get decent level audio to monitor through sub (from keyboard playing) balanced L&R inputs i have to put gain fully up (no red light distortion - of course i could increase Focusright level and reduce gain but there is another issue)
2 - even with faders down on Model12 there is still significant noise going to channels 1&2 recording inputs on Ableton.
3 - if i raise output faders for model12 1&2 to pre-distortion level coming in Ableton 1&2 - i can hardly hear them on the model12 sub.
4 - if i raise 1&2 inputs levels to audible levels of monitoring on the model12 to try mix with stereo input from USB Mac - Ableton distorts immediately.

of course i want to do much more with the Model 12 (record on board vocals in another room) but with this much nonsensical hassle and complexity i never have on my Edirol M-100FX, i'm thinking surely TASCAM know about this and should have saved me a load of frustration. NOTHING in their extensive manual about ONLY using the unit as a USB AtoD Interface. official videos give impression that there is full flexibility of use across ALL channels.

Thanks in advance for any light shed. Urgent as in middle of album recording.

UPDATE:
ABOVE OUTPUT ISSUE 2 - i was wrong. the USB is not switching L & R into Ableton. as i can tell from the sub monitoring using the sliders. BUT what IS happening is that even raising the output form the Focusright and lowering the GAIN on the input channels to balance the live and PC audio - the ABLETON INPUT still has NOISE AT ZERO LEVEL and OVERWEHLMING DISTORTION MORE IN RIGHT channel with usable non-distorting level on Left channel (both at same level on mixer).

PC INPUT ISSUE - all channels have the PC option but i cannot get Ableton outputs selected on 7/8 or 9/10 to send any output to the Model 12. or maybe the output is there but nothing is showing and no audio. PLEASE PLEASE HELP - NO YOUTUBE TURORIALS COVER IT.

Sounds frustrating & also like there could be a whole bunch of factors involved (setup/prefs on the M12, on the Mac, in Ableton...) And isn't the Solo an audio interface anyway? Are you trying to run two AIs simultaneously? Is that possible/wise?

I'm thinking this is probably a setup thing rather than hardware, although I don't know how well the M12 works as an audio interface to be honest, except with the MPC Live.

Maybe try simplifying and testing? Eg just connect the M12 without the Solo and record audio onto something like Audacity (or whatever works with a Mac). If that's ok, then explore the Ableton setup.

Good luck!

thanks for your reply.
playing soft synths from windows through focusright as its soundcard
that audio goes into to balanced L&R line ins on the model 12 so it's audio, plain and simple.

the model 12 is linked to the mac by USB for recording in Ableton JUST AS AN AUDIO-DIGITAL INTERFACE and soundcard for mac. (not as daw controller).

did ALL testing and setup options isolating channels, matched sample rates etc.NO INPUTS MAKING NOISE ON MODEL12 (tested on headphones) it is only when i unplug the USB from the model12 to mac that the noise on the input channels in Ableton ceases.

(what's MPC Live?)

Last edited:
Ah, you're using the focusrite for output and tascam for input then - I think? Haven't done that (I use Windows, it's not recommended to mix interfaces).

Maybe the noise could be a usb/ground issue?

What happens if you just use the M12 for in and out? (Not as a daw controller, just as an interface).

I think you'd avoid an extra D/A conversion too (Focusrite DAC, then Tascam ADC) if the softsynth audio was directly recorded in the M12.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online