HELP! recording dj set with tascam dr-40

rico 909

Gear owned
tascam dr-40
hello tascam people!

i just bought a tascam dr-40 and i wanna use it for record a dj set, i am having some issues as i am new to this recorder,

basically i wanna record a dj set, ideally, the mixer rec out will be connected via RCA cable to the Line in of tascam, but i don't know how to set the settings of the tascam in order to have a clean sound, i made it once but it was a background hisssss noise all the time that i cannot get rid off!

can you please explain me step by step how to setup the tascam for a clean direct Line in recording?

it's called gain staging. You need to start with the output from your mixer.Turn it down and with the Tascam in record standby, look at the input levels on the Tascam, don't let the red light flash. turn up the volume slowly til the red light just flashes now and then, and turn it down a tad more. It's a bit of trial and error as to when to turn down the Tascam input level or the mixer's output level til you get rid of unwanted noise.
Hope this helps.

@BazzBass I noticed the LOs/Bass were really low when I was playing back my mix. Do you have record settings preferences you recommend?

Currently I have wav16/44.1/track inc: off(don't know what this is)/and low cut: 120hz

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums, curez.

I don't own a DR-40, but there's a forum on this site for "Handheld and Field Recorders" (including your DR-40).
https://www.tascamforums.com/forums/handheld-and-field-recorders.10/

A "Low-Cut" switch cuts off any sound below the stated frequency setting. 120 Hz is about as low as the male human voice gets, and where the Bass frequencies start.

The 16/44.1 is short hand for digital CD quality audio (16bit/44.1kHz sampling rate).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Still pretty new to this. I tried doing a test and realized when recording a mix with 'low-cut' to 'OFF' the bass/LOs were at the same level as the original song(s). I'm assuming 'low-cut' at '120 hz' means it'll cut anything from 0 hz to 120 hz. I hope I'm understanding this correctly.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.