Help with FW-1804

moyboy60

Gear owned
FW-1804
Howdy folks. Got a bit of a problem here I'm hoping you can help with. For many years I have been using my 1804 hooked up to a dell computer running XP using a 6' cable. No issues of any kind and quite pleased with the results. A few weeks ago I decided it was time to move things around and the distance between the 1804 and the computer required a longer cable. So I purchase a 15' cable from a rather large internet seller and I am getting no audio from the computer. I checked the audio settings and tinkered around with a few other things but no luck. Just to check, I moved the computer closer to the 1804 and tried the old 6' cable and sure enough, everything worked. So I'm thinking I just have a bad cable and order another, albeit shorter at 10', from a big box office supply store. That cable arrives and still no audio. The 1804 and the computer seem to be communicating just fine as the computer recognizes the 1804's outputs. Could cable length have anything to do with my problem? Am I not purchasing the correct type of cable? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The setup manual says this, so I'm guessing the cable is the culprit. The fact you got it working again using the old cable seems a good sign!

" The FW-1804 is supplied with a 2m (6-foot) cable. If you wish to use a longer cable, the length should not be more than 4 m (13 feet) and the cable should be the best possible quality available to avoid data loss, which results in audio dropouts."
...although it's a rather extreme drop-out if there is no audio at al

New threads

Members online

No members online now.