HGR-2488 Display Adapter link

HankWillow

From
Denton, TX
Gear owned
2488_MK1+ Neo Model 5 mixer
Broken out for easier search access.

Reposted:
Oops, one more. This is for the HGR-2488 display adapter. A marvelous addition for old pfarts like me with failing eyesight. It's easy to install and works great. And furthermore, the folks at HGR are wonderful to deal with. Steve Reynolds was the guy I conversed with.

http://www.hgr2488.co.uk/

Rick

Does anyone who has done this have a report on how well it works, etc?

Duane

BeatleWho said:
Does anyone who has done this have a report on how well it works, etc?

Duane
It works just like it says on the tin. It makes the 2488 display (especially the MK1) totally readable. I have one fitted in both my MK1 and NEO. On a 17" monitor the tascam display is about 9 x 9 inches making it easily visible from across the room when recording. It also makes it much more comfortable when editing and mixing as you can look forward at the monitor and sit up straight. Check out the YouTube video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0hs3ozcyA

HGR have very good feedback on ebay (search for hgr2488) which is also a good indication that it works as advertised. It would be good if HGR could post an installation video for the module.

Realtime

These things are brilliant - have had one in my Neo for 2 years. I believe they do some colour options now...

Zeek

I've been after one of these for my 'neo for YEARS...it's clear this fellow has retired or otherwise stopped doing it. Website is dead, emails unanswered or bounced...and not a single one available ANYwhere - not ebay, not anywhere.

If ANYone has one of these they're willing to part with, I'm your guy...

Me too guys...
I was also looking for one module but unfortunately the site is down. Don't know why.

Back in 2011, I bought one of these for a 2488neo I owned and it was really cool. A year ago, actually October 2021) I sold mine on Reverb. Occasionally, I see them come up on Reverb. (https://www.reverb.com)

You may want to watch all 2488 listings on Reverb as well (which should include the 2488, 2488MKII and the 2488neo) because, sometimes, I have seen venders selling a 2488, 2488MKII or 2488neo with a "VGA connector". Which likely means there's an HGR2488 inside and the store just has it as a trade-in and doesn't know that card inside is an add-on.

They are tough to find now, that's for sure, since they are no longer being made.

Hi Tom - thanks for your response!
Yes - since he stopped making the HGR video adapter - some years, they've become a total unicorn.
My issue with buying a used/old 'neo with the HGR in it is that I already own 'neo - for going on 15 years - and it's in absolutely MINT condition, right down to the buttons...so I'm a little leery about buying a used unit - that might have the HGR in it, but be worn out/beat up/etc!
And I'm not made of the kind of money that would allow me to pay premium price for a 2488 just to scavenge the HGR out of it...
SO...I think I'll haveta do without...
UNLESS onenna youse guys/gals can lead me to one!!!

Understood and I didn't mean to imply the purchase of a used 2488 that has the adapter would be a best case solution for an HGR2488 in great condition or imply specific case for one being able to afford that solution.

I'll keep an eye on Reverb for that rare case one is available either alone or in a 2488, MKII or neo. It was a nifty add-on that I loved having in my 2488neo (mint as well). I pulled the HGR2488 out of it before selling them separately.

The components and board seems simple enough in the layout. It looks like there is possibly some sort of general purpose DSP processor chip that may have contained software flashed to it. But if it was all hardware and no special software, it would be interesting to see if something could be built to do that same task with similar components.

Reactions: SteveB2187
Hi Tom - wish I'd been online the day you sold the HGR unit!!! I have the HGR in my "feed" at Reverb, and supposedly get alerts when it pops up...but never has yet...sigh...

I seem to recall that it was a shockingly simple piece of hardware - it simply took the full resolution/color video signal (that displayed on the the teeny monochrome onboard screen) and output it to a VGA connector that an ordinary monitor could connect to, and display the full-res/full-color output.
For a tech-wiz/engineer/elec'trx wizard/witch, I bet it's pretty easy. But the '2488's are pretty old now, and no one is bothering. I wish the British fellow who made them back then could've sold his design to someone; with today's technology, they could probably be produced for a bout 5 bux a piece!!!

Still - I would LOOOVE to run across one, and put it in my mint-condition and much-beloved '88neo....

New threads

Members online