How many channels of audio in & out when using Model 12 as an audio interface in Windows?

Jimantronic

Gear owned
Model 12
Can you help me understand the Model 12 as a 12 in, 10 out audio interface for Windows PCs please?
I've watched guides and read the manual, but it seems to concentrate only on inputs and getting audio in to the pc.

I have some external hardware effects which I want to use in my DAW, but the Model 12 only technically has 6 hardware outputs - main stereo mix, sub stereo mix and 2 x mono aux. What's the process for sending existing audio from my DAW to these outputs individually? Can I address them directly in the software or do I need to send audio to a specific channel and then use the aux and sub sends on the mixer? Do I essentially have main stereo mix (which I will need for outputting to my headphones or monitors), plus 4 other channels of audio output? (aux 1&2 plus stereo Sub)

Can a channel in the Model 12 act as in and out at the same time or is it a total of 10/12 in use at once?
Does this mean if I want to use a main mix output from my DAW to my monitors, but I also want to send audio out to 2 stereo effects, that I have to set 6 channels on the mixer to USB-PC and 4 of the channels to DIRECT mode to receive the 2 stereo effect returns? That's all the channels used up then?

thanks,
James

I've done a quick test with my ipad and AUM over USB. It seems I can do In and Out on a single channel simultaneously so that's good :)
From a signal flow point of view, I think the mode switch sits in the same place on the panel as it does in the signal flow?
So if I have the channel mode switch set to 'PC' then above the switch is IN and below the switch becomes OUT.
So the input passes from the socket in the back through the gain knob and the inst/low cut buttons, then it goes into the USB and appears in the ipad.
If I send out of the iPad on the same channel, it joins at the compressor and follows the panel downwards, so I can then send it to the AUX channels, un-select it from the main and send to the sub using the buttons by the fader.
Does that sound about right? It's still going to be quite limiting for me with only 4 channels for audio out, but I'm sure I can make that work, I'll just plan to have more of my effects on the computer instead.

On the model 12, I think you have 10 in and 2 out channels (the stereo mix) at any one time.

I think the Mode switch should be after the compressor on the front panel in order to replicate the signal chain exactly.

Thanks @Mark Nicholson but that's not what I'm seeing on my unit here.
On the iPad I could see and simultaneously use 12 IN channels and 10 OUT ones in AUM.
On Windows without any Tascam drivers I could only see 2 OUT channels, but once I had the Tascam drivers installed and used ASIO mode, I could see 10 OUT and 12 IN channels in my DAW.

When the channel is split using the mode switch, the Compressor belongs to the lower 'Output' part.

@Jimantronic - From what I see I can't use the USB in/outs at the same time, correct?

I was hoping I could use the USB in and out as an 'insert' - but you get a choice as to whether you monitor the channel input or the USB input, but not both at once.

So we DO have discreet channels, but they're only as useful as the limitations of the 'mode' switch.

I'd love to be wrong here. I'd be awesome if I could run a looper with just one channel, instead of having to bring it back in to another channel

Nevermind: just figured out you can do it with input monitoring in your DAW set to PC!

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.