How to add reverb to vocals

Karl Valois

Gear owned
DP-24 Portastudio
Hi, everyone:

There doesn't seem to be an easy, straight answer to this! I love my DP-24 recorder. But, when I record vocals, can I add reverb?

It seems that some people urge to buy an external vocals processor; others say to somehow "bounce" tracks. I cannot find any easy answer in the manual!

Thanks!

Hi Karl. You're right, it's not straightforwards - there's a list of effects here (http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp24-32-fx-definitive-summary-of-effects.4162/), and it's quite a mixture. There is only one obvious effect called Reverb, but that's a Send effect so you can't record it at the same time as recording the vocal; the only effects you can record 'live' are Insert effects (although see Update at end of post).
You can still use the Send reverb as a comfort effect for the vocalist(s) during recording, but this won't be recorded.
There are 2 other possibilities via the Insert(Guitar) effects - the Delay effect or the Amp reverb, so if these are good enough for you then you can record these live.
The only other way is to use Bounce to 'mix' the pre-recorded vocal track(s) to another free track with reverb added via Send-1. This is obviously an off-line process, but it does give you the chance to redo the reverb if it doesn't sound right. You could commit the reverb balance at bounce time by recording both the dry and wet signals, or you could just record the wet reverb effect and leave the balance till later.
Update: Have just tried connecting the monitor output to a spare input and managed to record a Send reverb effect live. A stereo output would also work. You have to be very careful you don't get feedback (I accept no responsibility for blown speakers/eardrums!), but it is a crude way round the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: EricAndrew
A newbie here. I just got the DP-24SD and I want to know how can you use the Send reverb as a comfort effect for the vocalist(s) during recording, but won't be recorded. I was able to do this on my old Roland VS880 Xpanded Digital Workstation. It was great but I felt I needed an upgrade after 20+ years

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Hi - welcome to the forum. Below is a description of the procedure to get reverb on the vocal but not record the effect. But please look at the links at the bottom of this post. You will become a master in no time.

What you're wanting to do is easy on this machine. You can add reverb to the vocal signal so the singer can hear the effect - but it will not be recorded.

Push the effect button, make sure it shows "gtr" above F1 (this can be confusing - but you're in the "send effects" when it show "gtr" above F1). Push the on/off button to turn effect on. Scroll to the "return" setting and dial it up to at least 100 or so. Then exit that screen and push the "select" button on the track that the vocal is routed to. Then push "mixer" to enter the "track" mixer screen for that track. Adjust the send 1 master to at least 100 (you can adjust the different level settings later to taste). Then scroll to the "off/pre/post" selector and set it to "post". Now turn up the "send 1" effect level to at least 70-100 and you should now be able to hear the effect on that track. Adjust the reverb effect settings and different level setting to taste.

Again - if you now record that vocal - the reverb will not be on the vocal track - it will still be dry.

Having said all that.... as a new user - PLEASE read this:

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp-24-32-sd-new-members-please-read-this-first.7917/

And watch these videos:

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/tutorial-and-informational-videos-for-dp-32-24-32sd-24sd.7912/

Hi David, thank you for the welcome! I'm glad to know that this is possible. I was reluctant to move on from my reliable Roland. It has been a real workhorse for me, but I felt that things wear out like the trim dials and faders. My recordings seemed a little more bassy than normal and the like. One thing I will miss is the onboard effects card which had about 120 or so effects. I do have an Alesis external effects MidiVerb4 but I never had to use it. Looks like I will need a lesson on that. But for now the effects on the Tascam will suffice. I will look into those links as I realy want to master this machine! Again, thanks

I also came from the Roland VS840 and then VS880EX. Great machines in their own right. But I much prefer the inuitiveness and workflow of the DP. Early on I watched the Tipping videos and got a solid grasp of the block diagram which I highly recommend. Learning the Roland's back in the late 90's was excruciating at first. Thank god for VS Planet - or I probably would have abandoned it. But yeah.... the Tascam has its limitations - but pound for pound a much better workstation than the Roland's- IMO.

I do like my DP24 so far but still have some trial and error days ahead. I find the whole block/schematic side of this unit VERY distracting and unintuitive (maybe it’s just me). I used a Yamaha AW16G years ago. A lot more features, no schematics to wade through, very powerful but simple to use. It even had a loop section and drum pad. Mind you, it was three times the price too. And that was 20 years ago.

For now I am looking at an external vocal pedal which will it between my condenser mic and the Tascam input. Easy!

New threads

Members online