How to cut a long live recording in parts

Cirkus

From
Trois-Rivières, Quebec
Gear owned
Tascam dp 24
I will have to record a 2 hours live performance in one shot. So, after, I will need to cut it to have it in separated songs I will need to mix and master individually. How can I proceed to do so?

Thanxxxxx

This seems trickier than it looks... depends on how big the original recording is vs. your sd-card size, and if you can access the card with a computer.
First thought was to simply leave it as one large 'song', and just set the In & Out points for each sub-song before mixdown & mastering. But the machine only maintains one master file per song so it would only work if you can copy out the master file from the Music folder (or rename it) after each sub-song is processed.
If you don't have a computer, you could use the Song menu to copy the original song to a new song, set the In & Out points and master this. Then copy the original song to another new song and repeat. Each song will have its own master file.
If you run out of room, you could delete the unused sections of each new song before processing.
Having access to a computer would speed up the song copying, and you could also archive the original song first for safety.

You can in/out mix/master for one song. A wave file will be made. Copy this file to your computer and rename it. Then re-in/ out mix master the next song and save the new wave file to your computer. This puts little demand on your SD card. Let me know if this is not clear.

I use Audacity to do this. Transfer the whole thing into computer using that program. You can then cut it up as you wish, plus many other audio tricks. Save each tune as a separate file ( this can done as .wav if you need. ) There is another little add on program which lets you create Mp3 files if you want to do that. It is easy to use but it records in real time, think so takes a while. Depending on the format on your card, you may be able to import files directly into audacity. but I have never done that.

New threads

Members online