IF-FW/DM firewire compatability with new computer. help

ok perhaps my celebrations were premature. :( after about 5 minutes i lost sound. now nothing will play. looking at the if-fw/dm control panel, the streaming state is in error. i reset and nothing changed. i havent tried the firmware update yet.

progress however, i no longer get the error about digital signature.
i did set up the midi control section in cubase for the dm3200 just before the sound stopped working. i dont know if this could have had anything to do with it.....
any ideas from here??

thanks again folks

Your Midi interface using same irq as FireWire card?
Can you disable Midi and try again?
Which firmware haven't you upgraded yet? The IF-FW/DM or the DM3200?
Make sure all are using the latest firmware regardless.
What happens on a fresh reboot? What is the status of the card in the Tascam control panel before opening Cubase? Can you stream other audio through the DM3200 outside of Cubase?
There's an issue with the MKii card and cubase where I have to open the TMC application first before launching Cubase I order to get Midi control with Cubase in Windows 7. Not sure if the MKI has the same or similar application.

Last edited:
ok i was about to roll up my sleeves and dive into these awesome suggestions, started with a fresh reboot and a fresh day and all is working now :) dont know what is different other than the reboot.
im going to start doing some work to see if everything stays stable and working. thanks so much guys especially cmaffia!
ill be back if on if i have more issues :)

so my audio is still quite glitchy, much worse than my original setup which i never had an issue with. im leaning towards attributing it to the drivers or firmware.
going back to your suggestion to make sure firmware was up to date; i ran the updater for the board. that doesnt seem to make any noticable difference.
the iffwdm firmware update folder contains only a .bcd file and not a .tfi so im not able to do anything with it to update my firmware from 1.0 to 1.1
theres also a folder below that here
http://tascam.com/product/if-fw-dm/downloads/

that says dm24 software required for iffwdm but it appears to only have midi files in it.

im confused on how to update the firmware for the if-fw/dm and also do you think that this is the solution or at least worth a try?

I think it's beating a dead horse = too much effort for very little reward.

Echoing C.Maffia's advice - sell your F/W MK1, make a DM24 user happy, and make yourself even happier with a MKii interface and supported drivers. You'll not only rid yourself of the problem, you'll gain 8 more channels at up to 96kz.

When all is said and done, your cash outlay may be less than $200.

Money.

Well spent. :)

CaptDan

Echoing C.Maffia's advice - sell your F/W MK1, make a DM24 user happy, and make yourself even happier with a MKii interface and supported drivers.
+1

so my audio is still quite glitchy
What kind of FireWire card do you have inside your computer? PCI? If so, it may be the source of the problem. PCI buss implementation in (some) modern motherboards is extreamly poor. Better use PCIe cards.

ill have to look up the model of the fw in the computer, but its the same card from my old computer that worked for 7 years , so im hesitant to blame that.
ya looks like im going to have to spring for the new card, or sell my whole board and downgrade to another interface. ive exhausted other options and am thinkning violent thoughts instead of making music :)

Sell the board that is worth $2K when all you have to do to get it working properly in Windows 7 and 8 is buy the supported FW card for $350? With all due respect that doesn't make sense? The problem is you're trying to use an unsupported card in an unsupported OS using unsupported drivers.

Last edited:
i know i know
reasoning behind it is because when i bought it i was doing this for a living, recording others and bands, but now im just a hobbyist, so downgrading to a smaller interface seemed like a viable option. i just dropped more than i wanted to spend on the new computer and didnt anticipate the extra cost of a new fw card too. truthfully i have loved the board and dont want to get rid of it.

If you don't want to spend another dime then maybe go back to XP

im really leaning toward your suggestion of selling off the old fw card and saving up for the mk2 . just being stubborn and angry about it right now :) thanks again

Lol ok. Vent as needed!

Ok I'm going for it today. If I put my card on eBay how much can I expect to get for it? I don't see any current listings for the first gen card

Broadly speaking if it's in good shape, in the neighborhood of $185 - 250US.

If you already know this, ignore. But one of THE best ways to obtain true wholesale market value is to study the 'ePay' Completed Listings. Here's an example of an 'offer accepted' on a MK1. I would guess the accepted offer was about $225 on a 450 asking price, probably on the higher end of the market.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-IF-FW-DM-Firewire-Card-for-DM-24-and-DM-3200-Digital-Mixers-/291163809066?pt=UK_Musical_AudioMIDI_Interfaces&hash=item43cab7252a&nma=true&si=IjIDcz6H78XDdETueOae3M52JaU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm open to correction or updating in case my math is off. :)

CaptDan

Last edited:
ill have to look up the model of the fw in the computer, but its the same card from my old computer that worked for 7 years , so im hesitant to blame that.
Dig-ding! 7 years old. That means it probably is a PCI card. It's not fault of the card itself, but it may not work with modern motherboards anymore. I'm NOT saying this DEFINITELY IS your oproblem, but it might well be.

I am using a PCI fire-wire card without issues in my brand new current generation i7 Asus motherboard and also in the previous i7 board without issue.

I am using a PCI fire-wire card without issues in my brand new current generation i7 Asus motherboard and also in the previous i7 board without issue.
Which model of Asus motherboard? My new PC has Asus Z87-K and it was completely unable to handle IF-FW/DM mkII with any of my 3 PCI FireWire cards (2 with VIA and 1 with Adaptec chipsets) of which every one worked just fine with my previous PC.

And I'm, not the only one having similar problems.

Asus H87-PLUS using a Sigma TI PCI FireWire card. No issues and low latency settings. I average 75us while my completed Cubase projects are playing without any reported dropouts. Same card worked just as well in my previous Creation Station which used the Intel dh67bl motherboard.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.