IF-FW/DMMKII beta drivers for DM3200/DM4800

Thanks for the update RedBus. I'll be eager to install it latter today on 10.9.5 as well as trying it on the recent 10.10 Developer Preview 8 Seed.

Ok Installed the update and installed the new driver. Did a voice over session this morning. All seemed fine but after a couple of hours I got a message on the dm screen stating digital error. Press enter. I have never had this before. I hit enter and sound was working but had to rush off then as I had another job to do.

And just one more thing while i think of it..
I updated the OS to 10.9.5 and before uninstalling the driver I tried iTunes and had sound. i then trashed the old driver and installed the new. Should I have had sound on the old driver? Would the old driver have worked without this strange error message appearing? I'm tempted to add...Is it wise to jump from a plane without a parachute? lol

I only had time to do smoke testing with the new driver last night but DM4800 was working with iTunes and Nuendo 6.5 in 10.9.4 & 10.9.5. No go in 10.10 Preview 8.

John, I would think that your Digital Error message would not be related to the new Driver. As one kind of driver stability test, you can set up a project in your DAW and let loop for a long period such as overnight. Low buffer size with stress it along with your system a bit more. Note that some DAW's don't do well with looping for very long periods of time and can hang or crash. The driver may not be the sole root cause of such results.

Hi Audiowave
Thanks for your input.
I installed OS10.9.5 this morning and tried the DM4800 with iTunes(Last driver). Sound was fine but I thought it better to install the new driver as it was designed for 10.9.5. I did so and had the desk running for a couple of hours, a short time to how long it would typically be running. I recorded a basic voice audio project at 41000/32 bit and all was well. I heard no issues. It was only when i saw the Tascam DM screen that i saw the message digital error, press enter. I hit enter and i didn't notice any glitches. I have only even had one digital error which was the lights flashing major error one. This only happened once at 96000 and was a very different error to this one. These are the only 2 issues I have ever seen in all my years of using the DM. i don't uses especially low buffer sizes (128 for recording) and i sample at 41000 which should not put a huge strain on my system. I believe it to be too much of a coincidence that this error happened with an OS update and new driver installed but i will know more as i put more hours in and if other people experience issues.

I've been using every beta driver released for the last 2 years and they never caused any error messages and I record at 88.1KHZ. Unstable drivers would cause application or OS crashes most of the time. Hardware connected to your DM that was configured incorrectly would cause it to display error messages. If not that, an internal hardware failure would produce these types of errors.

I recall your DM displaying a digital error message not too long ago... I hope I'm wrong but I have a sneaky suspicion this might be related to a failure within the DM4800. I think your recent software updates and you receiving this error message was coincidental.

Last edited:
I installed 10.9.5 and the latest driver last night, but can't run the desk until later today... I'll report here if I see any problems.

I'd agree except this was not the same digital error. I have only had 2 in all with all the years I have used this dry up. The one before and this one and they weren't the same error. My set up is very straightforward Tascam connects to Mac via FireWire. Only one FireWire input used on Mac.
Anyhow will watch this space

John

My set up is very straightforward Tascam connects to Mac via FireWire. Only one FireWire input used on Mac.
Anyhow will watch this space

John
"Straight forward" is more the reason why I think it might be a failure. If there is a component that is failing, it is quite possible it can cause multiple error messages. I'm not wishing it on you, but to me the evidence points to it. I had 2 bad DM3200's before my current and have had to go down that "error message road" before. Wonder what a Tascam engineer would say about these types of errors?

Last edited:
Coincidence is my hypothesis:

If the popup was "Digital In(x) : Error", that's a AES/EBU orIF input problem, nothing to do with the FireWire or option slots.

Ok But i gotta say now I'm even more confused. The 2 times i have had error messages were when i changed something. Tascam worked perfectly for years at 41000. I change sample rate to 96000... Soon after i get my first error. (The biggie shut down, all fine on reboot) I go back to 41000,,, perfect Today i upgrade OS and change the driver.. error message within 2 hours
I will just see what happens next but you can see where I'm coming from.
I only got these errors when i made a change. Perhaps its all coincidence. I was just surprised that it only seemed to happen after i changed something..
John

Ok But i gotta say now I'm even more confused. The 2 times i have had error messages were when i changed something. Tascam worked perfectly for years at 41000. I change sample rate to 96000... Soon after i get my first error. (The biggie shut down, all fine on reboot) I go back to 41000,,, perfect Today i upgrade OS and change the driver.. error message within 2 hours
I will just see what happens next but you can see where I'm coming from.
I only got these errors when i made a change. Perhaps its all coincidence. I was just surprised that it only seemed to happen after i changed something..
John
I hear where your coming from however one should be able to make simple changes like yours without crashing the board. The crashes aren't happening immediately either. If it's possible that software could crash the DM it wouldn't take 2 hours. It sounds like RedBus has given a direction for this error. Do any of them apply to you? What does IF input problem mean? Does it point to a PCB?

Last edited:
I'm not sure really. I was in the middle of mastering a product for a client and this error happened so suddenly. I had forgotten about having an error once before at the time it happened because all had been perfect since I started sampling again at 41000. I had updated os? Installed the new driver and had to get a project out. I will just need to monitor the desk from now on and see what happens. Thanks for everyone's input and apologises if I've accused the beta driver in the wrong. If any digital errors reappear I will take note of details and ring Tascam in the UK for advice. I have no idea who looks after tascsm in my country Ireland. Board was imported from Germany

RedBus can correct me, but since Beta V1.31x - there's a sequence that must be followed each time sample rates are changed. This involves booting/re-booting both the DM and PC. The exact steps are in the driver's release notes. But I can tell you that -with a Win7 PC - if these steps aren't followed to the letter, problems will
quickly ensue.

CaptDan

Changing Sample rates for WDM based I/O on Windows is a circus act - the steps are in the readme file.
Changing Sample rates for ASIO based I/O should be straightforward.

Yes The mac has the edge on this one...
The more i think about this digital error the more i think its an intermittent fault.
Tascam engineers are obviously aware of it.. They have seen it before and replaced boards under warranty. Obviously mine is no longer under warranty. I wish someone would share exactly what this fault it. I tried to ring Teac/Tascam service in the UK this morning to ask about it but was forwarded to a service company who didn't answer their phone. Obviously Tascam are now outsourcing their repairs...So frustrating...
@RedBus Do you have any knowledge of this issue?
I will copy

New threads

Members online