IFFWDMmk2- DAW works fine but no sound from Windows 7/64

wm_b

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
I'm setting up a new studio computer and I'm moving from Windows XP/32 to Windows 7/64. I used to be able to have all my system sounds routed to my IF-FW-DMmk2/DM3200 but I can't seem to set that up anymore. When I go to view sound devices in Windows 7 the IFFWDM is sort of there but I can't do anything with it. If I make it the default device nothing happens and no sounds can play.

I don't need the system sounds but it's sure handy for listening to content in web pages and media players. Currently I'm preparing to use the SPDIF out of the computer's onboard sound into the Digital In on the mixer but this is pretty inelegant.

I've seen some mention of Legacy Drivers or something. The DAWs are working fine using ASIO but the system must be using something else and it's not working. My Firewire card is a known to be compatible TI based card and it's been a good performer with the mixer before.

I hope I'm explaining this well enough.

wm_b said:
Currently I'm preparing to use the SPDIF out of the computer's onboard sound into the Digital In on the mixer but this is pretty inelegant.
Why do you think it's inelegant? That's the way I've used system sounds from my PC to DM from the day one.

I've configured one of the MONITOR SEL button's of the DM to monitor SPDIF (computer's system sounds) in which case they are just one button push away but at the same time never will disturb my recording/mixing process.

In matter of fact I've always thought it's a bad habit to send Windows system sounds to the same interface as the DAW audio.

It is just my opinion that more cabling and more system devices taking up resources isn't as simple to deal with in the long run. I keep my system sounds off for the most part so I don't get interrupted anyway.

If the 64bit tascam driver is not functional as a Windows sound device then I guess I'll deal with it the way I was planning but if there is the option to use the iffwdm then I would prefer that over any other alternatives.

P. S. I do think that using spdif the best alternative. I also see some potential advantages with a setup like this however I would prefer a better interface than a builtin sound card. Maybe something with AES connectors.

wm_b said:
however I would prefer a better interface than a builtin sound card. Maybe something with AES connectors.
Absolutely no need for anything like that. Built-in audio interfaces are as good as it can get when using them for system sounds in digital format. There's absolutely no advantage on using any special hardware. There's no advatage on using AES either in this kind of application.

Disclaimer for nitpickers: Yes I know, in this setup PC and DM are not digitally synced and if/when they get out-of-sync there would be a glitch in audio every now and then, but who cares in case of system sounds/youtube/media player/etc. Anyway ... I have never heard an audible glitch during last 5+ years.

Very long story short:

You're probably experiencing a 'disconnect' between your DM's firewire system and PC's audio driver core. In otherwords, system sounds, etc, are not locking into the chosen sample rate and, therefore, are inaudible while your DAW/firewire audio is functional.

Suggestion: contact 'RedBus' for information on new/forthcoming V1.22 firewire driver.

CaptDan

captdan said:
Very long story short:

You're probably experiencing a 'disconnect' between your DM's firewire system and PC's audio driver core. In otherwords, system sounds, etc, are not locking into the chosen sample rate and, therefore, are inaudible while your DAW/firewire audio is functional.

Suggestion: contact 'RedBus' for information on new/forthcoming V1.22 firewire driver.

CaptDan

I'm running my system at 88.2k and this was workable in XP. Are others here using Windows 7/64 for system sounds at 44/48k through the iffwdm successfully?

Is there a beta version of 1.22 perhaps?

I've had no trouble running system sounds at that rate. However, I'm recording most everything now at 96kz, and system sounds are still operable. There's a means to make that adjustment in the Win7 Devices Menu.

Yes - there IS a beta version of 1.22; contact 'Redbus' here for details.

CaptDan

Edited 19:23 PST

Upon reading the release notes for the 1.21 drivers they should be compatible with Windows 7/64. I'm not seeing any of the things related in the Release Notes. I can follow it up until the Advanced tab instruction. It's not there. What's going wrong? The DAW stuff is working fine.

I set my clock and console to 48k and then rebooted the computer. The advanced tab shows up. I can select 88.2 but only at 16bit. This will be fine if it works but is 24 not available. I guess my original problem is that I started out at 88.2.

Cheers

I've been through various 'adventures' with the firewire drivers as well. I can't say for certain what your issue is, but I'd suggest doing a COMPLETE uninstall of 1.21, then a fresh re-install. That means completely removing the driver from your PC and re-installing it.

When you reach the part of the installation process where it asks you if you want to reboot the computer, first - reboot your DM, then in the clock menu, select 44.1 or 48kz. After that, reboot your PC so the driver re-installation can complete.

Then - see if you're able to access more options in the Windows Audio menu.

CaptDan

To do a complete uninstall will I need to do anything besides use the "uninstall" from add/remove programs. In other words do I need to seek out anything to manually remove it?

I'm just glad I'm getting it to work at all. Life will be easier.

wm_b said:
Edited 19:23 PST

Upon reading the release notes for the 1.21 drivers they should be compatible with Windows 7/64. I'm not seeing any of the things related in the Release Notes. I can follow it up until the Advanced tab instruction. It's not there. What's going wrong? The DAW stuff is working fine.

I set my clock and console to 48k and then rebooted the computer. The advanced tab shows up. I can select 88.2 but only at 16bit. This will be fine if it works but is 24 not available. I guess my original problem is that I started out at 88.2.

Cheers

It's vital to follow the steps in the release note exactly:
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... _rn_vd.pdf

You have to be at 44.1kHz first, get that working, then follow the steps. If you can only see the 16 bit selection, I vaguely remember that it doesn't matter, it still runs 24 bit under the hood.
Microsoft made changing the WDM sample rate difficult in Windows 7 for a reason, but it sure made things inconvenient for us. Windows 8 makes it even more difficult, that's what the next beta driver is attempting to work around.

Tom.

Jarno said:
I've configured one of the MONITOR SEL button's of the DM to monitor SPDIF (computer's system sounds) in which case they are just one button push away but at the same time never will disturb my recording/mixing process..

My DM3200, has again grown, Thanks Jarno. Proost! :D

New threads

Members online

No members online now.