Introduction

Martin LaChance

Gear owned
Teac C-3RX
I've been making my own tapes since the 70's, wanted a Tascam for yrs just never pulled the trigger until now. I have several other decks including a Nakamichi MR1, still awaiting delivery of my new deck

So, it's not labeled a Tascam but I believe the Teac C-3RX qualifies as close enough.

I'm interested in acquiring rack handles and brackets but not sure what exactly I'm looking for.

Anyway, when the deck arrives I'll post pics and further comments.

Maintenance wise it is better to put these on a rack shelf that can be obtained from broadcast supply places. I use Broadcasters General Store in Ocala FL. The rack parts on the C-3RX and other are just some custom made aluminum angle stock. Most people take them off.
Service to the deck includes the recapping and glue removal of the power supply as the caps are from 1980 and the glue is known to conduct and some of it is acidic. New Idler tires for the fast wind assembly. Maybe a new Pinch Roller depending on what yours looks like or if it can be reconditioned. The Flywheel should be extracted and the bearing treated with AMSoil. The switches on the right side have lot of cleaning required. I am working on one now for a high school instructor. It has some weird problems to it. They often need new heads as the 6060 or 6061 Ferrite are usually worn out a long time ago. The head I put in is the Z7000 head but they screwed up when making the mount plate as it is very difficult to set the azimuth when the hex wrench will not fit on the nut. It need a end adjust nut that is difficult to locate.
IF you bough a deck without the proper work that it needs then you will have repairs ahead of you. there are solenoid slide plates that need cleaning and new grease. I use Lubriplate 105 which has never hardened up or failed for me.

its supposedly in working order but I will have my tech go through it.

I see they came with the brackets but handles were also offered, I believe the AH-50 to be the correct model, but was hoping that could be confirmed, plus I would need the original brackets they mount to.

I've also seen the AH-40 which has the brackets and handle as one assembly, if those fit then that would be awesome. Again, I really just need confirmation before I purchase them.

thanks if able to help

can't upload pictures for some reason

its just cosmetic but I like the handles, have them for my silver faced Kenny gear also

I can't put pictures either but the handles were an accessory even beyond the rack pieces and they are very rare. I have some on a A550RX but they are most likely different- they like to do that.

supposedly the AH-50 fit the 122, if so I'm wondering would that make them also fit the Teac? If the Teac and Tascam 122 use the same rack brackets the handles should be the same I'm thinking.

I have a line on the handles for the 122, if the brackets are the same I'll purchase the handles and keep looking for the brackets or make a pair.

so the deck arrives today and it's absolutely pristine, operates perfectly. As for SQ, right up there nudging the Nakamichi so really nothing between them. Both are capable of making recordings virtually indistinguishable from the source.

Still on the lookout for rack handles, hopefully I've found some that fit. Cost almost as much as the whole deck if they do lol.

Back in the 80's they could be had but now days these kinds of things are considered very rare and will get a good price but I do agree that just because a person has a rare item they should not try and get more than a decks cost for them- they are unrealistic. Audio Select on E bay is known for ridiculous prices.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.