Is it possible?

Jaycat

Gear owned
Tascam DP-008
.... to make a semi-professional sounding recording on a Tascam DP008? If so, how?

I have been trying for years with not much success, and am now considering going direct to my laptop with some kind of interface box.

I've even tried 'polishing' my DP008 tracks via Audacity, with little luck.

Your thoughts (including possible recommendations for an interface) are most welcome!

There's no magic bullet.

There isn't much in the way of FX you can use. The main thing is to get the initial tracks recorded as perfect as you can - recorded dry and at the correct levels with little to no noise. Good playing technique on the instrument goes a long way towards a good end sound. Then do a little EQ and maybe Reverb as you like it after recording - without going overboard. Mastering the stereo mixdown can add some polish as it compresses, normalizes and adds volume. Instead of manually mastering, use the presets for a good sound. That's usually a decent semi-professional result.

Or you could not do the stereo mixdown/mastering and just export the individual tracks to an SD card, then transfer that to you computer's DAW so you can add a gazillion FX plugins and go wild. It's too easy to get lost this way though and may not sound so hot at first. You'll be right back where you started asking this question..

Last edited:
That flixier looks like it's for voice-overs (speaking).. not singing. It also shows using the AT2020 USB condenser mic, which can be another problem on it's own. If you're using a USB mic you should switch to an XLR mic and follow your Tascam instructions for connecting and setting the input switches. This will tap into the mic preamps built into your Tascam and perk your voice right up. If you've got a good singing voice with good technique, this alone should get you most of the way there.

Make sure the guitar and vocal are recorded separately on their own tracks. If you're recording them together on one track it will make it very difficult to use the EQ, Reverb and other FX to place each one in it's own spot in the final mix. Fixing one can mess up the other and they get all tangled up sonically.

In your user's guide/manual, go to Page 61 for Mixdown and Mastering. Then on Pages 64-65 you'll see how to use the Automatic Mastering. You can pick a 'sound' and listen back to see if you like it. If not, pick a different 'sound' and listen to that. Go with one you like and follow the steps to the end.

Many thanks for all the info. Yes, I am recording guitar and voice on separate tracks, and am using an AT 2010 mic. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow and see how it goes!

Hi @Jaycat

.... to make a semi-professional sounding recording on a Tascam DP008? If so, how?

I have been trying for years with not much success, and am now considering going direct to my laptop with some kind of interface box.

A sem-pro recording is easy. You may or may not be able to get the kind of mix that you're hearing in your head because of either lack of equipment or experience. As @spantini says, there is no magic bullet. But you can always give your tracks to an engineer for mixing and mastering. That's one way that home recording artists up their game in the final product.

In your user's guide/manual, go to Page 61 for Mixdown and Mastering. Then on Pages 64-65 you'll see how to use the Automatic Mastering. You can pick a 'sound' and listen back to see if you like it. If not, pick a different 'sound' and listen to that. Go with one you like and follow the steps to the end.

Maybe I'm thick (no doubt), but I am not seeing those options. Here's the manual I'm looking at:
https://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/36/E_DP-008_OM_vA.pdf

Maybe I'm thick (no doubt), but I am not seeing those options. Here's the manual I'm looking at:

https://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/36/E_DP-008_OM_vA.pdf

Well, that just put the brakes on. I was looking at a DP-008ex manual - which obviously has options not available to you. My apologies. https://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/787/e_dp-008ex_om_va.pdf

Still, your model does have Mastering but appears to have no options to change it's settings.

Thanks anyway. Looks like I may be headed for an interface box.

Moving up to an interface with a better DAW you'll have to set your own parameters of compression when mixing or mastering your recordings. I have a Tascam DP-03SD which I don't use for recording and it has the ability to select those preset mastering features I mentioned earlier (incorrectly referring you to the DP-008ex). The DP-03SD's manual has a chart which lists compression settings for compression/limiting based on which genre of music you're wanting to hear in the final master. You could use these to configure whatever compressor(s) your DAW may have as plugins - it'll give you a good starting point, then you can experiment from there.

Here's the DP-03SD manual - See Page 66 : https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/836/e_dp-03sd_om_vb.pdf

Reactions: Jaycat
That looks really helpful. Thanks for all your good advice!

New threads

Members online