Is there anything like a 'Model 16 for Dummies' book/video/course?

Dan Stephenson

Gear owned
Model 16
Hi everyone, I recently bought a Model 16 and I'm struggling to get started with it. I'm a real newbie when it comes to using a mixing-board, and I've read the manual and watched every tutorial-video I can find, but I'm finding the manual confusing, and all the videos seem to assume a basic grasp of using similar equipment, which I don't have. What I feel I need is an absolute beginner's guide, to take me through step-by-step how to use the unit, eg: that plugs-in there, then you can switch it on, this is what this does, that's what that does, don't do that before you do this etc - a 'Model 16 for Dummies' book would be amazing, but I don't believe there is one. I've definitely bitten off more than I can chew - I've only ever used a Korg Sound On Sound, and even that only very basically. Music's always been my passion, but I started recording only because, as far-fetched as this may sound, original music's come to me in dreams and I want to do it justice. In a way of course it's a wonderful 'problem' to have, but it's frustrating as I'm itching to get going, but I need walking through the very basics. Please does anyone have any suggestions? Love, Dan

Last edited:
Hoo boy ... there are a TON of books and videos out there about recording. Look for something that's based around using a mixing desk and apply that to the M16. Most videos about DAWs will have little to offer you until you get the basics of signal flow through a desk down (yes - the M16, etc. is a mini desk).

Not sure that this helps much, but it's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Reactions: Dan Stephenson
Jeff Strong's "Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies: 5th Edition"
Chapter 4: Meet the Mixer (pages 79-95)
Examining inputs
Checking out the channel strip
Recognizing mixer routing
Opting for outputs
Chapter 14: Mixing Your Music (pages 249-270)
Understanding Mixing
Getting Started Mixing Your Song
Exploring Equalization
Equalizing Your Tracks
Using the Stereo Field
Adjusting Levels to Enhance the Emotion of the Song
Chapter 15: Dialing In Signal Processors (pages 277-300)

Chapter 16: Mastering Your Music (pages 301-314)
Available on Amazon in print and Kindle editions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Stephenson

New threads

Members online

No members online now.