Issue with phantom power on Tascam DP-32SD

Andy Mawr

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32SD
I'm trying to connect a Behringer C-1 condenser mic to the Tascam. I connect up and hit phantom power but LED on mic isn't lighting up implying no power. I've tested the lead and appears to be OK and I've checked the output from the jack socket and there doesn't seem to be any power supplied. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks
Andy

Do you have any way of testing the cable and/or microphone with a different phantom power supply?

Are you engaging the proper phantom power button? - as there are two. One for inputs A-D and one for E-H.

Reactions: -mjk-
I'm hoping to talk to someone tomorrow who may have a desk with a phantom power option so that I can test both the mic and cable.
I've tried both phantom power buttons with associated inputs but neither work.

Thanks
Andy

Welcome to the forum Andy.
When you say "I've checked the output from the jack socket", how did you do this?
If you have a meter, you should see approx 48 volts between the XLR pins 1 & 2, and between 1 & 3, where pins 2 & 3 are positive with respect to pin 1 (there won't be anything on the 1/4" jack pins).
Looking at the socket from the rear of the machine, you should see the 3 pins in a V shape.
.. 2 . 1 ..
.... 3 ....

I just checked mine, and there's 47.8 volts present when the phantom power button is lit up and nothing else is plugged in (I used a spare XLR plug to make it easier to connect the meter).
If you can't see that, and the phantom light is lit on the machine, sounds like an internal fault.

Thanks for the welcome Phil.

Problem solved!
I was under the impression that the TASCAM could supply phantom power via a 1/4" TRS jack (from Tascam) to XLR lead (into mic) cable. I also thought that inputs A-H were 1/4" sockets only.

Having googled XLR cables

https://homestudioconnection.com/do-all-xlr-cables-support-phantom-power/

and rereading the Tascam manual

https://www.tascam.eu/en/docs/DP-32SD_Manual_vC.pdf

page 21 - rear panel diagram, I realised that each input is a combo 1/4"/XLR socket.

I have now purchased a XLR(F)- XLR(M) cable and tested and all is working as it should be.

Thanks David and Phil for your comments.

Cheers
Andy

No, I didn't think so either but the manual implied that the Tascam could differentiate between phantom powered XLR/ 1/4" TRS cables and regular 1/4"/1/4".

Reactions: -mjk-
I would be very interested to see how you got that impression from the manual. Could you copy and paste that section?

In the "Equipment Related Tips" sticky thread, the post on connecting outboard gear and the post on impedance matching, have some tangential information that may be useful at some point down the road.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online