Just a thought... Firewire card modified to Thunderbolt 3?

CopyRon

From
Medford NJ
Gear owned
DM4800 X-48
If someone out there could do this, it would keep a great mixer from becoming outdated.
Imagine recording to your favorite DAW no latency!
Anybody???
Is it possible??

Technically, yes. Practically, no way.

You can get a thunderbolt 3 to firewire adapter. I went a different route. I connected an older Mac Mini via firewire to the DM4800 and ran Dante Via. I now have access to the DM4800 on any machine on the network running Dante Virtual Sound Card. I am pretty sure I am getting better latency numbers on the networked PC than I did when it was connected directly to the Tascam.

@Rockum Hi R. I'm guessing that you would require a license for each of the PC's in the chain. Is that correct? Would be interesting to see this setup in action via YT perhaps! Thanks for sharing. P

You can get a thunderbolt 3 to firewire adapter.

But will that give me thunderbolt speed or only FW400.
On this PC with Presonus 2626 TB3 I have almost 0 latency!
I actually ordered adaptors to try this.

Reactions: Peter Batah
I think Tascam would have to create a thunderbolt card. The firewire card is only going to send out data at firewire speeds no matter what card it communicates with. That said, I think the latency is always on the computer side. Faster computers can cut the latency way down. My guess is the thunderbolt lanes are highly equipped to deal with fast data, but a great firewire card with a very fast processor would also be able to get really low latency.

Firewire 400 speed .4 Gbps
Thunderbolt 3 speed 40 Gbps

That's a lot of difference, hence my original thought.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.