Main Fader/Error Message Question

lennymac

Gear owned
model 24
Hi all - quick couple of questions from a new user here

It doesn't seem that moving the main fader has any impact on the mix down - for example - if I am sliding down the main fader for a fade out at the end of a track, this doesn't seem to print to the main stereo file created. If I want a fade out I need to fade all the track faders together - weither that or import the stereo track into my DAW and do it there, which defeats the point. Is this correct or (as is likely) am I doing something stupid?

Second question - does anyone else have a problem with getting the warning 'writing failed'. I seem to get this quite often and am having to switch it off and back on again and am losing the last thing recorded. Is this common? It is on the latest firmware and using a tascam verified SD card.

Thanks in advance folks. (other than the above, I love this unit so far!)

Salutations fellow Model 24 user,

Regarding your first question about how to “fade out” at the end of a track using the main faders and having it print to the track, I believe you are asking about motorized faders which is not a feature on the model 24. You would indeed have import your stereo track to a DAW to do that as the model 24 lacks the memory for that.

Regarding your 2nd question, I have experienced that myself and believe it has something to do with the SD card you use in your Model 24. While Tascam gives you a list of appropriate SD cards to use, I believe that only of few of SD cards they actually list out really work with the Model 24. I haven’t had time to experiment myself with the best SD card to use with the Model 24, but I have gotten around it and found that if I limit the amount of memory that I use (ex. I only record about 3-4 songs max, export to my PC and then factory reset the model 24 to wipe the memory) I avoid any writing errors or strange audio artifacts happening in my mixes.

While it definitely has it quirks, I share the same sentiment you do about the Model 24

The Model 24 writes 22 tracks to a stereo mixdown pair on tracks 23 and 24. If you guys are saying you can't do a mix, pulldown the main stereo fader and do a fadeout, then what use is it at all? Of course you can do a fade out at the end of a mix. Something isn't set up right, and it sounds to me like the mixdown is pre, not post the main fader.

Hi guys - and thanks for your responses. I will try another SD card from the approved list to remedy the ‘writing failed’z. Error.

I am not looking for motorized fader functionality as I know this machine does not do that. But when I am using the master fader to fade out when recording a stereo mix this is not represented in the mix file - it does not fade out. Individual fader movements are recorded, but not the master bus. So yes, it does sound like the mix is pre-fader. How would I remedy this? Many thanks.

Yeah - that’s a great idea. Thanks for clearing that up. Would seem like the master fader mix file should be post fader though.

Reactions: -mjk-
@lennymac I wholeheartedly agree. Mixing with a mixer that cannot do a fade out is - well, Tascam's logic escapes me.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.