Main L/R mix insert

Nick1957

Gear owned
Model 24
I don't have a Model 24 but I'm seriously considering it. Question... Can the Main L/R mix be routed externally and then routed back into the machine to channels 23/24? I want to master the stereo mix with external gear.

I don't think there is a way to get an external signal directly onto 23/24 without bringing it in through a channel. There's an effects insert, I think, but that isn't really what you want.

But unless you need every track, you can easily send all channels to SUB, route SUB (stereo output) to your effects; return back to inputs on channels 21/22; and then swap those tracks w/ 23/24 before doing a stereo mix export.

Reactions: -mjk- and Nick1957
The Model 16&24, being analog mixers , don't have a swap function (according to the October 2020 OM).

The Main Mix L/R is tracks 23/24 (the 2-track stereo mix recorder) on the SD card.

The Model 16&24 are FOH mixers and not designed for editing or mastering. The expectation is a DAW will be doing those functions.

If your intent is to massage the stereo mix recording after it's been created, I don't see readily how you would accomplish what you want without first creating the stereo recording, transferring it to a computer/DAW, bringing the that back into the MODEL 24 on Inputs 1&2, and using the Input 1&2 Insert (Send/Return) jacks to go out to the external effect and back into the MODEL 24 to have the newly processed signal recorded on Tracks 23/24 (overwriting the previous stereo mix recording).

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Nick1957
Won't this work?

1) Record tracks 1-20

2) Set tracks 1-20 for playback only, but to SUB instead of main.
Send Sub outs to effects; bring them back on 21/22 stereo track.
Set 21/22 to recording, and also send 21/22 to Main. (You don't need detailed individual channel strips since you're using external effects so 21/22 will work.)

3) You will then have a stereo mix both on 21/22 and 23/24. In theory it'll be the same mix, absent any setting difference as you stream 21/22 to MAIN.

Am I wrong?

Essentially, this is a bounce operation with outboard gear inserted in the chain. The question is what's ending up on Tracks 23/24.

First Consideration

Is the external gear's input/output an electronic match to the Model 24's Sub-Out jacks circuit and to the Input 21/22 circuit?

Second Consideration
Not owning one of these Models, I can't test this.
  1. With the Channel 1-20 Mode switches set to "MTR" (playback of the already recorded tracks for mixdown), and the Main Record button set to "Record", will the playback mix of Tracks 1~20 be recorded automatically(???) on Tracks 23/24 even though the Channel Main buttons are not engaged?
  2. Is the Submix-Out of Tracks 1~20 (going to the external gear via the Submix Bus and then coming back in through Input 21-22), being recorded simultaneously on Tracks 21/22 and Tracks 23/24, and how does #1 affect that, if at all?
There's a video tutorial on bouncing using the submix bus, so perhaps the answer can be found there.

In any event, that's creating a stereo mix. The OP said "I want to master the stereo mix with external gear". Mastering a stereo mix is a whole 'nother thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I think the answer is, "Yes, you can Master the mix, but not in real time."

And, from an engineering/production standpoint, this is desirable, anyway.

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Staff online

Members online